Winning finale for Saham Toney CC
Saham Toney visited Alliance Division Two champions Mattishall in their last fixture of the season and won by 16 runs. Saham pulled in another 25 points to match the previous week's haul when they beat Dereham by 47 runs.
Saham Toney visited Alliance Division Two champions Mattishall in their last fixture of the season and won by 16 runs.
Saham pulled in another 25 points to match the previous week's haul when they beat Dereham by 47 runs.
Asked to bat first Saham's experimental batting line-up scored well with good partnerships throughout the innings.
David Ellis (21) and Will Smart (37) put on 64 for the third wicket, Dale Sims (64) dominated a partnership of 77 with Will Dyer (7) for the fifth wicket and Adi Wood (44no) and Simon Mower (23no) put on an unbroken ninth-wicket stand of 81 in the last 10 overs to see Saham set their hosts 246 to win.
Matt Thomas was out for eight in his last game for his team as he will be returning home to Australia after ten years with club.
After scoring more than 7,000 runs, and winning the club's batting averages again for 2010, he will be greatly missed and the club would like to wish him and his family well for the future.
- 1 Norfolk scams: Washing machine fraudsters and fake WhatsApp messages
- 2 Parts of Norfolk could see 60mph winds as Storm Barra hits
- 3 Items from Lidl and Sainsbury's recalled over health and safety concerns
- 4 Virus expert predicts Omicron will start 'outcompeting' Delta
- 5 Outdoor nativity village with live animals at Norfolk church
- 6 TSB announce closure of its bank in Swaffham
- 7 Festive cheer returns to Watton streets at Christmas event
- 8 Where can I see Santa on his sleigh in Breckland this Christmas?
- 9 Converted water tower home to appear on Grand Designs
- 10 'My life has been plagued by fly-tipping for a year - I need it to stop'
After using all ten players the previous week to dismiss Dereham, Saham only bowled the nine this week and in the gloom it was left for Dale Sims to take the last league wicket of the season.
Ever-young Paul Norman was the pick of the bowlers with 3-18 including Mattishall's overseas. Simon Pitkethley and Simon Mower both took two each as Mattishall were all out in the last over.
Saham would also like to wish a speedy recovery to Tracy Lovick after surgery on her broken ankle.
Saham: S Pitkethley c Lockwood b Bourke 4, D Ellis lbw Chetwood 21, M Thomas c Brown b Fordham 8, W Smart c Cole b Lockwood 37, W Dyer b Garner 7, D Sims b Lockwood 64, P Norman lbw Garner 0, A McGeorge b Bourke 0, S Mower not out 23, A Wood not out 44; extras 36. Total (8 wkts) 245. Bowling: Bourke 12-1-35-2, Fordham 7-2-49-1, Chetwood 8-0-40-1, Lockwood 12-0-71-2, Gold 3-0-31-0, Garner 3-0-13-2.
Mattishall: Brown b Pitkethley 4, Chetwood c McGeorge b Norman 47, Lockwood lbw Pitkethley 0, Sholtz b McGeorge 44, Bourke lbw Norman 14, Fordham lbw Norman 0, Hawkins c-b Mower 10, Cole b Sims 54, Chetwood run out 5, Howes b Mower 6, Garner not out 14; extras 28. Total 229. Bowling: S Pitkethley 6-0-30-2, A McGeorge 8-0-36-1, W Smart 5-0-40-0, P Norman 5-0-18-3, D Ellis 5-0-20-0, M Thomas 1-0-3-0, S Mower 8-1-30-2, A Wood 6-1-36-0, D Sims 0.4-0-8-1.