West Acre pair make progress in English Billiards Championships
- Credit: Archant
Mick Cooper of West Acre qualified in style to reach the last 32 of this year's English Amateur Billiards Championship.
He won all his group matches at Cambridge Snooker Centre and also recorded his highest competitive break to date with a fine 109.
Dean Bavister, also of West Acre, narrowly failed to qualify, while Phill Welham from the same club joined Cooper in the last 32 by winning his group.
The Norfolk hopefuls will now progress to the next stage of the competition along with the top players from the other regional events held last month at Southampton and Clay Cross in Derbyshire.
Meanwhile in the West Norfolk Billiards League Lynn Maltings B team of Steve Kirk, Kevin Gordon and Richard Thorpe lead the way after a fantastic five match unbeaten run at the start of the season.
You may also want to watch:
West Acre C are a close second and West Acre D are third.
Welham's 158 is the highest break to date, followed by Calvin Daw's 56 and Mark Tims' 50.
- 1 Couple reveal reason for closing 30-year-old firm
- 2 Discount retailer opens new furniture store in Swaffham
- 3 Household Cavalry to make Norfolk return
- 4 One of Norfolk's most expensive homes for sale for £3.5million
- 5 Norfolk County Council elections 2021: Who is standing in Breckland?
- 6 Election 2021: Norfolk and Suffolk council candidates published
- 7 'Suspicious package' turns out to be hidden treasure chest
- 8 Norfolk has no Covid patients in critical care for first time in six months
- 9 Norfolk's Covid rate still low despite slight rises in some areas
- 10 Teams to take on 375-mile walking challenge for Norfolk charities
Congratulations are due to Jazmin Cainey and Mark Tims who won the first county event of the season, the Norfolk Invitation Billiards Cup, held at the Malting's Q Club, King's Lynn.
Thanks are also due to the Maltings for hosting the event and serving lLunch, and to all the members of the NBSA Community who assisted with providing pro-cup balls for the event.
The roll of honour at the Lynn was: winners: Jazmin Cainey and Mark Tims, runners-up: Steve Pollard and Steve Allen, third place: Ian Dennis and Max Smith, fourth place: Steve Kirk and Tony French.
Welham's 103 was the day's highest break, while Mick White's 60 was the second highest break.
Massingham A and West Acre A are joint top of the Narbeck Boys' Billiards League.
Massingham A's Callum Wilson-West's 27 is the highest break to date and Rochy Wood's (Lynn PHF A) 170 is the highest 30-minute score.
Thetford Snooker Centre lead the Swaffham Veterans' Billiards League from West Acre who are giving them a good run for their money.
Thetford Conservative Club B are third and Holme Hale fourth.
Welham's 178 is the highest break and Steve Wright's (Thetford Con A) 53 the second highest break.