West Acre pair make progress in English Billiards Championships
- Credit: Archant
Mick Cooper of West Acre qualified in style to reach the last 32 of this year's English Amateur Billiards Championship.
He won all his group matches at Cambridge Snooker Centre and also recorded his highest competitive break to date with a fine 109.
Dean Bavister, also of West Acre, narrowly failed to qualify, while Phill Welham from the same club joined Cooper in the last 32 by winning his group.
The Norfolk hopefuls will now progress to the next stage of the competition along with the top players from the other regional events held last month at Southampton and Clay Cross in Derbyshire.
Meanwhile in the West Norfolk Billiards League Lynn Maltings B team of Steve Kirk, Kevin Gordon and Richard Thorpe lead the way after a fantastic five match unbeaten run at the start of the season.
You may also want to watch:
West Acre C are a close second and West Acre D are third.
Welham's 158 is the highest break to date, followed by Calvin Daw's 56 and Mark Tims' 50.
- 1 Sacked police officer admits child porn charges
- 2 Council splashes out £780,000 on agile working
- 3 Man in 30s charged with Shipdham murder
- 4 Popular support services for the elderly in jeopardy
- 5 Woman admits causing deaths of Norfolk couple in road crash
- 6 What has Breckland's Market Towns Initiative achieved?
- 7 Villagers in shock after woman dies in suspected murder
- 8 'Truly sorry' glamping owner apologises after negative reviews
- 9 Man arrested on suspicion of murder after woman dies in village
- 10 Teens aged 16-17 years old will be allowed vaccine before new school term
Congratulations are due to Jazmin Cainey and Mark Tims who won the first county event of the season, the Norfolk Invitation Billiards Cup, held at the Malting's Q Club, King's Lynn.
Thanks are also due to the Maltings for hosting the event and serving lLunch, and to all the members of the NBSA Community who assisted with providing pro-cup balls for the event.
The roll of honour at the Lynn was: winners: Jazmin Cainey and Mark Tims, runners-up: Steve Pollard and Steve Allen, third place: Ian Dennis and Max Smith, fourth place: Steve Kirk and Tony French.
Welham's 103 was the day's highest break, while Mick White's 60 was the second highest break.
Massingham A and West Acre A are joint top of the Narbeck Boys' Billiards League.
Massingham A's Callum Wilson-West's 27 is the highest break to date and Rochy Wood's (Lynn PHF A) 170 is the highest 30-minute score.
Thetford Snooker Centre lead the Swaffham Veterans' Billiards League from West Acre who are giving them a good run for their money.
Thetford Conservative Club B are third and Holme Hale fourth.
Welham's 178 is the highest break and Steve Wright's (Thetford Con A) 53 the second highest break.