Watton youngsters shine
A new era at Watton Rugby Club began this weekend with The Red and Black Army hosting their first-ever junior fixture. And what a fixture it was! Playing only their second-ever match, against Lakenham, Watton U16 looked like a team that had played together for years and won 26-5.
A new era at Watton began this weekend with The Red and Black Army hosting their first-ever junior fixture.
And what a fixture it was! Playing only their second-ever match, against Lakenham, Watton U16 looked like a team that had played together for years and won 26-5.
Having played and beaten Lakenham earlier in the year in Norwich, revenge was on the minds of Lakenham's players.
But with Watton's determination to succeed the result was never in doubt, tries from Martin Pagget, Michael Stickland, Charlie Davis and Arron Eagle. With three conversions from Jamie Leicester sealing a thoroughly well-deserved home victory.
You may also want to watch:
Lakenham, to their credit, did rally and score a try of their own but could not turn possession into points. The only facet of the game that they really took control of was the line-outs, an area Watton will need to improve
on to compete with the better sides.
- 1 Who can get a Covid booster jab and how can I book one?
- 2 Could we face coronavirus restrictions over Christmas?
- 3 Night out safety advice issued after drink-spiking reports in Norfolk
- 4 What is the government's Plan B for Covid this winter?
- 5 Town to introduce ice skating at annual Christmas light switch-on
- 6 Delays on A47 due to collapsed manhole cover
- 7 Farm park wins accolade for helping 'amazing' rare animals
- 8 Norfolk carer named one of best in the country
- 9 Met Office issues warning for thunderstorms in Norfolk
- 10 People urged to share their views on the future of Breckland towns
To have two wins from two, having beaten an established strong local side twice in their first two outings is nothing short of amazing.
The junior section was only re-introduced to the club a season ago. Regular fixtures are being arranged for all of the age groups.
All players welcome of all ages to take part in the various squads. Training is on Tuesday nights from 6.30 to 7.30.