Watton youngsters shine
A new era at Watton Rugby Club began this weekend with The Red and Black Army hosting their first-ever junior fixture. And what a fixture it was! Playing only their second-ever match, against Lakenham, Watton U16 looked like a team that had played together for years and won 26-5.
A new era at Watton began this weekend with The Red and Black Army hosting their first-ever junior fixture.
And what a fixture it was! Playing only their second-ever match, against Lakenham, Watton U16 looked like a team that had played together for years and won 26-5.
Having played and beaten Lakenham earlier in the year in Norwich, revenge was on the minds of Lakenham's players.
But with Watton's determination to succeed the result was never in doubt, tries from Martin Pagget, Michael Stickland, Charlie Davis and Arron Eagle. With three conversions from Jamie Leicester sealing a thoroughly well-deserved home victory.
Lakenham, to their credit, did rally and score a try of their own but could not turn possession into points. The only facet of the game that they really took control of was the line-outs, an area Watton will need to improve
on to compete with the better sides.
- 1 GP allowed non-clinical staff to change medications, inspection shows
- 2 Woman set for crucial surgery after £20,000 target reached
- 3 Iceland offers over 60s discount on shopping bill every week
- 4 Woman in 70s left with life-threatening injuries after crash near Swaffham
- 5 Video footage appeal after car crashed into A47 central reservation
- 6 Care home burglar recalled to prison over racist assault
- 7 Readers reveal top 10 fish and chips - but the battle is on for top spot
- 8 Female governor of Norfolk prison says job is 'easier than being a mum'
- 9 Long delays after person cut out of car on A1065
- 10 Beer from Lidl and vegan chocolates among items recalled over safety fears
To have two wins from two, having beaten an established strong local side twice in their first two outings is nothing short of amazing.
The junior section was only re-introduced to the club a season ago. Regular fixtures are being arranged for all of the age groups.
All players welcome of all ages to take part in the various squads. Training is on Tuesday nights from 6.30 to 7.30.