Watton youngsters shine
A new era at Watton Rugby Club began this weekend with The Red and Black Army hosting their first-ever junior fixture. And what a fixture it was! Playing only their second-ever match, against Lakenham, Watton U16 looked like a team that had played together for years and won 26-5.
A new era at Watton began this weekend with The Red and Black Army hosting their first-ever junior fixture.
And what a fixture it was! Playing only their second-ever match, against Lakenham, Watton U16 looked like a team that had played together for years and won 26-5.
Having played and beaten Lakenham earlier in the year in Norwich, revenge was on the minds of Lakenham's players.
But with Watton's determination to succeed the result was never in doubt, tries from Martin Pagget, Michael Stickland, Charlie Davis and Arron Eagle. With three conversions from Jamie Leicester sealing a thoroughly well-deserved home victory.
You may also want to watch:
Lakenham, to their credit, did rally and score a try of their own but could not turn possession into points. The only facet of the game that they really took control of was the line-outs, an area Watton will need to improve
on to compete with the better sides.
- 1 One of Norfolk's most expensive homes for sale for £3.5million
- 2 Family attractions back for big weekend after months of shutdown
- 3 Norfolk has no Covid patients in critical care for first time in six months
- 4 'No guarantee' - doctor urges HPV vaccinated women to attend screenings
- 5 Norfolk man's year-long fitness challenge in memory of parents
- 6 Coronation Street star's surprise message to Norfolk care team
- 7 Norfolk County Council elections 2021: Who is standing in Breckland?
- 8 Covid vaccine rollout shifts dramatically in favour of second doses
- 9 Norfolk attractions enjoy 'amazing' Saturday as visitors flood back
- 10 Prince Philip's life and legacy remembered during poignant funeral
To have two wins from two, having beaten an established strong local side twice in their first two outings is nothing short of amazing.
The junior section was only re-introduced to the club a season ago. Regular fixtures are being arranged for all of the age groups.
All players welcome of all ages to take part in the various squads. Training is on Tuesday nights from 6.30 to 7.30.