Watton United win award and start 2015 with a victory

Watton United players, with manager Ian Hunt and assistant manager David Childerhouse, were presente

Watton United players, with manager Ian Hunt and assistant manager David Childerhouse, were presented with the Team of the Month award for November by Anglian Combination secretary Chris McColough. - Credit: Submitted

Watton United kicked off the new year with a double success.

After Anglian Combination secretary Chris McCullough presented them with the Division Four Team of the Month award for November, the Hares then went on to beat Horsford United Reserves 6-4.

They won the award after winning all five of their games in November, scoring 34 goals and conceding just once.

Watton had finished the year on a low note though when seeing their nine-game winning streak ended in a 4-1 defeat at Redgrave Rangers.

But Saturday's home win against mid-table Horsford kept the Hares in second place in Division Four, five points behind leaders Buxton and with a game in hand.

The hosts seemed confident from the kick-off and dominated the first half with good possession and steely determination.

A penalty was awarded to Watton after striker Kevin Bloomfield was pushed inside the box. Bloomfield stepped up to take the penalty and casually slotted the ball past the visiting keeper to give Watton their first of their six goals.

Most Read

Horsford soon found themselves 2-0 down after captain Xavier Huckle added to his impressive goal tally this season. After a mistimed challenge in the box on Huckle, the Horsford keeper managed to prevent a second penalty conversion taken by Bloomfield.

The spirits of the visiting side were soon lifted when one of their players took an audacious shot from outside the box scoring their first goal, bringing the score to 2-1.

Watton keeper Christian Radu delivered a fine direct ball to front-man Huckle who skilfully thwarted the visiting defence only to have his shot denied by the Horsford keeper.

Persistent winger Joe Meehan tapped in Watton's third goal of the match, closely followed by another goal from Bloomfield to see Watton end the half with a 4-1 lead.

After only two minutes into the second half, Watton increased their lead to 5-1 when Huckle delivered a powerful strike from close range.

A few minutes later, a seemingly weak Watton defence allowed Horsford to score their second goal of the match. However, after an impressive display of possessive football, left winger Sam Childerhouse skilfully delivered the ball to Huckle for him to tap in for his hat-trick.

Horsford pressed on and were rewarded with two goals in close succession to take the final score to 6-4.

After starting the 2015 with a win, Watton will hope to keep up their Division Four title challenge on Saturday when they travel to Feltwell United, kick-off 2pm.