Watton United strike back against Horsford United Reserves
- Credit: Submitted
Watton travelled to Horsford United Reserves with a slightly depleted side but came away victorious with a 2-0 win in Division Four of the Anglian Combination.
Watton made chances from the start and could have been 2-0 up inside the first five minutes. The visitors continued to press the Horsford defence and were rewarded in the 23rd minute when striker Gavin Norman linked up with strike partner Kevin Bloomfield to score his third goal of the season.
Only two minutes later, Watton were unlucky not to increase their lead when central defender Paul Nicholls skilfully headed the ball only to be denied by the crossbar.
Five minutes into the second half Bloomfield sealed the Watton victory with a left-footed strike into the left-hand corner of the net. Norman went one-on-one with the opposing keeper in the 60th minute but his attempt at goal was brilliantly saved.
Two minutes from full-time, Watton winger Joe Meehan received a second yellow card after reacting strongly to a bad challenge.
You may also want to watch:
Team manager Ian Hunt awarded the man of the match award to assistant manager and Watton veteran James Roberts for a valiant performance when he stepped in as substitute for the injured Paul Woods after only 20 minutes.
Woods will be out of action for a possible month, along with injured utility man Alex Rowe, who is likely to be out until the New Year.
- 1 Flats could replace disused shop space in town centre
- 2 Woman hurt as A47 crash leaves car in ditch
- 3 Burst main leaves villages without water
- 4 Norfolk yet to reach peak in latest wave of coronavirus deaths
- 5 Inquests into deaths at Banham Poultry adjourned for seventh time
- 6 Specialist exercises for 'less mobile' during lockdown
- 7 Handyman from Watton died at home, inquest hears
- 8 Care home residents get taste of skydiving and rollercoasters
- 9 Wetherspoon pubs reveal reopening plan after 'zero' sales
- 10 'I didn't want to bother NHS' - Cancer scare mum urges others to seek help