Watton United strike back against Horsford United Reserves
- Credit: Submitted
Watton travelled to Horsford United Reserves with a slightly depleted side but came away victorious with a 2-0 win in Division Four of the Anglian Combination.
Watton made chances from the start and could have been 2-0 up inside the first five minutes. The visitors continued to press the Horsford defence and were rewarded in the 23rd minute when striker Gavin Norman linked up with strike partner Kevin Bloomfield to score his third goal of the season.
Only two minutes later, Watton were unlucky not to increase their lead when central defender Paul Nicholls skilfully headed the ball only to be denied by the crossbar.
Five minutes into the second half Bloomfield sealed the Watton victory with a left-footed strike into the left-hand corner of the net. Norman went one-on-one with the opposing keeper in the 60th minute but his attempt at goal was brilliantly saved.
Two minutes from full-time, Watton winger Joe Meehan received a second yellow card after reacting strongly to a bad challenge.
You may also want to watch:
Team manager Ian Hunt awarded the man of the match award to assistant manager and Watton veteran James Roberts for a valiant performance when he stepped in as substitute for the injured Paul Woods after only 20 minutes.
Woods will be out of action for a possible month, along with injured utility man Alex Rowe, who is likely to be out until the New Year.
- 1 'He's a dear little dog' - Thieves steal family pet Arthur
- 2 Rough sleepers' plea to be 'kept inside' as council secures £635k funding
- 3 Joy as antique cupboard returns home to Oxburgh Hall after almost 70 years
- 4 Schools in Norfolk closed or partially shut due to coronavirus
- 5 What you can (and can't) do as Norfolk enters Tier 2 restrictions
- 6 Illegal puppy farm warning as one in ten plan to buy dog for Christmas
- 7 Care home Christmas card campaign ramps up thanks to talented pupils
- 8 How Norfolk and Waveney MPs voted in coronavirus tiers vote
- 9 'Disgusting' - councillor slams culprits for defecating on footpaths and in front gardens
- 10 Shop Local: Council urge shoppers to use market towns this Christmas