Watton United ensure cup progress in feisty clash with Corton Seltic
- Credit: Submitted
Watton United progressed from round three of the CS Morley Cup with a 2-0 home win against Corton Seltic.
The victory meant a third consecutive clean sheet for the Hares although their display lacked the composure of previous weeks.
Corton, from Division Six of the Anglian Combination, proved to be a determined side and caused trouble for their Division Four hosts from the first whistle.
After a couple of near misses, strike pairing Xavier Huckle and Kevin Bloomfield were finally able to open the scoring with only three minutes until half-time when Huckle managed to square the ball across goal for Bloomfield to tap in his ninth goal of the season.
The whistle had only just signalled the end of the first half when a hostile clash between several players from both teams occurred, resulting in Watton defender Eusabio Huckle and a Corton player being sent off.
You may also want to watch:
Watton came out for the second half with a more focused resolve and quickly took a 2-0 lead when captain Xavier Huckle turned inside the box and fired home to score his 15th of the season.
Watton keeper Christian Radu produced his first save when a rare attack from Corton in the 79th minute was thwarted by a last-ditch clearance on the goal-line from Joe Meehan.
- 1 One of Norfolk's most expensive homes for sale for £3.5million
- 2 Street light debate councillor says education would stop fear of dark
- 3 Norfolk has no Covid patients in critical care for first time in six months
- 4 Norfolk County Council elections 2021: Who is standing in Breckland?
- 5 Coronation Street star's surprise message to Norfolk care team
- 6 Historic Debenhams building goes up for rent
- 7 People without Covid symptoms urged to use new walk-in test site
- 8 On the buses: Mobile Covid vaccination service is launched
- 9 Rapid coronavirus testing site set for launch in Thetford
- 10 Covid vaccine rollout shifts dramatically in favour of second doses
With only minutes left, Michael Callaghan was unlucky not to extend Watton's lead when his formidable effort hit the crossbar.
Watton return to league action on Saturday when they host Feltwell United (2pm kick-off).