Watton United ensure cup progress in feisty clash with Corton Seltic
- Credit: Submitted
Watton United progressed from round three of the CS Morley Cup with a 2-0 home win against Corton Seltic.
The victory meant a third consecutive clean sheet for the Hares although their display lacked the composure of previous weeks.
Corton, from Division Six of the Anglian Combination, proved to be a determined side and caused trouble for their Division Four hosts from the first whistle.
After a couple of near misses, strike pairing Xavier Huckle and Kevin Bloomfield were finally able to open the scoring with only three minutes until half-time when Huckle managed to square the ball across goal for Bloomfield to tap in his ninth goal of the season.
The whistle had only just signalled the end of the first half when a hostile clash between several players from both teams occurred, resulting in Watton defender Eusabio Huckle and a Corton player being sent off.
Watton came out for the second half with a more focused resolve and quickly took a 2-0 lead when captain Xavier Huckle turned inside the box and fired home to score his 15th of the season.
Watton keeper Christian Radu produced his first save when a rare attack from Corton in the 79th minute was thwarted by a last-ditch clearance on the goal-line from Joe Meehan.
- 1 All aboard for a 'street party atmosphere' at railway's jubilee events
- 2 By George! Woman digs up coin 'from reign of George I'
- 3 12 missing Norfolk people feature in new hi-tech campaign
- 4 Sue Gray report finds lockdown party behaviour was 'unacceptable'
- 5 GP allowed non-clinical staff to change medications, inspection shows
- 6 A47 closed for several hours following crash in west Norfolk
- 7 A47 reopens after man seriously injured in crash following police chase
- 8 'A wonderful achievement' - Carbrooke residents finally get community hub
- 9 Tesco recalls pastry product over risks to people with nut allergies
- 10 Man seriously injured in A47 crash after police pursuit
With only minutes left, Michael Callaghan was unlucky not to extend Watton's lead when his formidable effort hit the crossbar.
Watton return to league action on Saturday when they host Feltwell United (2pm kick-off).