Watton United continue great form with ninth successive win
- Credit: Submitted
Free-scoring Watton United's incredible form continued with a 4-0 victory at struggling Sprowston Athletic Reserves.
The Hares are now just two points behind Anglian Combination Division Two leaders Buxton, who were held to a 1-1 draw at St Andrews Reserves.
Watton have now won nine successive matches in all competitions, scoring a massive 52 goals and conceding just five in the process.
Sprowston struggled to compete with their in-form visitors from the kick-off but Watton strikers Kevin Bloomfield and Xavier Huckle were both denied early goals when the Sprowston keeper produced some fine saves to keep the score at 0-0.
However, a persistent Watton were rewarded after 23 minutes when skipper Huckle headed home after a set-piece delivery from Michael Callaghan.
You may also want to watch:
Only 10 minutes later, Watton extended their lead to 2-0 when winger Joe Meehan scored his second goal of the season.
Huckle was unlucky not to add to his goal tally before the break after rounding the Sprowston keeper only to see his effort cleared off the line.
- 1 Who can get a Covid booster jab and how can I book one?
- 2 Could we face coronavirus restrictions over Christmas?
- 3 Night out safety advice issued after drink-spiking reports in Norfolk
- 4 What is the government's Plan B for Covid this winter?
- 5 Delays on A47 due to collapsed manhole cover
- 6 Town to introduce ice skating at annual Christmas light switch-on
- 7 Farm park wins accolade for helping 'amazing' rare animals
- 8 Norfolk carer named one of best in the country
- 9 People urged to share their views on the future of Breckland towns
- 10 Met Office issues warning for thunderstorms in Norfolk
Huckle grabbed his 24th league goal of the season in the second half and Meehan tapped in for 4-0 in the 83rd minute, with defender Ben Childerhouse named as man of the match.
This Saturday the Hares go to fourth-placed Redgate Rangers, where a win would take them top, if Buxton fail to beat Wymondham Reserves at home.