Watton lose hockey derby to Thetford
Watton 2, Thetford 6
HOCKEY: Both these teams were equally matched in fitness, skill and determination.
But it was Thetford who made all the breaks to drive home six goals to Watton's two.
The first 15 minutes saw Thetford defending hard against the home side, who tested all approaches to goal. Thetford's midfield started to gain their form though, building on passing and pressing forward any advantage. Watton scored first — followed fairly rapidly by a tremendous short-corner strike from Dawn Heavey.
You may also want to watch:
Sophie Kelly and Abby Rolph had to maintain their strength in defence, as Watton strived for a second goal. Dee Burris defended her goal well, in one instance reaching out a toe to save a shot on target.
It was a speedily-taken free-hit from Kelly, to Karen Hodgkinson, to Sam Harvey — who ran half the pitch, drew out the goalie enough to pass to a waiting Heavey.
- 1 Inspectors praise Norfolk firefighters for help during Covid surge
- 2 'Almost life changing' - school overjoyed with Every Child Online laptops
- 3 Norfolk woman fined after travelling 200 miles to visit daughter
- 4 Covid led to huge fall in Norfolk parking fines and £1.3m budget hole
- 5 Tips for families with Special Educational Needs children in lockdown
- 6 Ice warning after freezing temperatures overnight
- 7 It's 'a long, long way' until lockdown restrictions are lifted - Hancock
- 8 Councillor accused of 'squirming' over environmental centre finances
- 9 Timeline: When should you receive the coronavirus vaccine?
- 10 Yellow weather warning for snow in place across region
Harvey then took another speedy solo run to make it 1-3.
The second half scoring was pretty similar. Watton opened, to be followed by a looping shot into the side of the net from Heavey.
Then Leanne Smith – running to keep pace with Harvey again – who finished with an acute-angle slap hit.
Watton did have a short-corner shot which was disallowed as the ball did not exit the D
Harvey scored her second goal from a short corner, her first shot was deflected, so she made sure of it.
Player of the match: Sam Harvey