Watton lose hockey derby to Thetford
Watton 2, Thetford 6
HOCKEY: Both these teams were equally matched in fitness, skill and determination.
But it was Thetford who made all the breaks to drive home six goals to Watton's two.
The first 15 minutes saw Thetford defending hard against the home side, who tested all approaches to goal. Thetford's midfield started to gain their form though, building on passing and pressing forward any advantage. Watton scored first — followed fairly rapidly by a tremendous short-corner strike from Dawn Heavey.
You may also want to watch:
Sophie Kelly and Abby Rolph had to maintain their strength in defence, as Watton strived for a second goal. Dee Burris defended her goal well, in one instance reaching out a toe to save a shot on target.
It was a speedily-taken free-hit from Kelly, to Karen Hodgkinson, to Sam Harvey — who ran half the pitch, drew out the goalie enough to pass to a waiting Heavey.
- 1 Household Cavalry to make Norfolk return
- 2 Norfolk's Covid rate still low despite slight rises in some areas
- 3 'Suspicious package' turns out to be hidden treasure chest
- 4 One of Norfolk's most expensive homes for sale for £3.5million
- 5 Teams to take on 375-mile walking challenge for Norfolk charities
- 6 Norfolk County Council elections 2021: Who is standing in Breckland?
- 7 Historic Debenhams building goes up for rent
- 8 Norfolk attractions enjoy 'amazing' Saturday as visitors flood back
- 9 'Thank you for everything' - How Norfolk marked Duke of Edinburgh's funeral
- 10 Further walk-in vaccination clinics being held across Norfolk and Waveney
Harvey then took another speedy solo run to make it 1-3.
The second half scoring was pretty similar. Watton opened, to be followed by a looping shot into the side of the net from Heavey.
Then Leanne Smith – running to keep pace with Harvey again – who finished with an acute-angle slap hit.
Watton did have a short-corner shot which was disallowed as the ball did not exit the D
Harvey scored her second goal from a short corner, her first shot was deflected, so she made sure of it.
Player of the match: Sam Harvey