Watton in shield battle
The second leg of the Ashby Shield, between Watton (Loch Neaton) Bowls Club and Bradenham, was played on the Watton green. The home team had a deficit of 23 shots to make up from the first leg, which was played at Bradenham over two weeks ago.
The second leg of the Ashby Shield, between Watton (Loch Neaton) Bowls Club and Bradenham, was played on the Watton green.
The home team had a deficit of 23 shots to make up from the first leg, which was played at Bradenham over two weeks ago.
At the midway stage of the match, contested over 18 ends, Watton's four mixed triples had pulled level on the overall shots. Unfortunately, they could not maintain their early form and all credit to the Bradenham team for holding their heads and picking up the shots in the latter stages.
John Forster's block, in particular, played extremely well to win by 18 shots against Terry Kavanagh, Brenda and Doug.
For Watton, Dorothy with Ralph and Roy finished all square, Max, Thelma and Tony won by one shot, whilst John, Colin and Maureen won by 16 shots.
The final result therefore was a win for Bradenham by a total of 24 shots.
- 1 A47 reopens after serious crash near Swaffham
- 2 Teacher banned after 'inappropriate contact' with teenaged pupils
- 3 Oyez! Oyez! Oyez! UK's top town crier crowned in Norfolk
- 4 Man repeatedly kicked in the head by group during road rage attack
- 5 Gold Mercedes crashes through windows of Norfolk supermarket
- 6 Property: How could the new laws for renters affect you?
- 7 A47 near Swaffham reopens after crash
- 8 Classic car show returns with vintage motorbikes and 'auto jumble' sale
- 9 Motorcyclist who died in crash with minivan named
- 10 Interim parish council takes office after mass resignations
The club was honoured by the presence of Celia Ashby, who had donated the shield a few years ago.
She followed the match with much interest and only wished that she was able to play again.
This was the last competitive match of the season. The closing drive will be held on Sunday, September 27.