Watton in shield battle
The second leg of the Ashby Shield, between Watton (Loch Neaton) Bowls Club and Bradenham, was played on the Watton green. The home team had a deficit of 23 shots to make up from the first leg, which was played at Bradenham over two weeks ago.
The second leg of the Ashby Shield, between Watton (Loch Neaton) Bowls Club and Bradenham, was played on the Watton green.
The home team had a deficit of 23 shots to make up from the first leg, which was played at Bradenham over two weeks ago.
At the midway stage of the match, contested over 18 ends, Watton's four mixed triples had pulled level on the overall shots. Unfortunately, they could not maintain their early form and all credit to the Bradenham team for holding their heads and picking up the shots in the latter stages.
John Forster's block, in particular, played extremely well to win by 18 shots against Terry Kavanagh, Brenda and Doug.
You may also want to watch:
For Watton, Dorothy with Ralph and Roy finished all square, Max, Thelma and Tony won by one shot, whilst John, Colin and Maureen won by 16 shots.
The final result therefore was a win for Bradenham by a total of 24 shots.
- 1 'I didn't want to bother NHS' - Cancer scare mum urges others to seek help
- 2 'Don't mix, shop online' - People urged to go beyond lockdown rules
- 3 Vaccines roll-out to move on to over 70s
- 4 Mass coronavirus vaccination centre opens in Norwich today
- 5 Norfolk's first mass Covid vaccination centre to open in food court
- 6 Drivers face non-essential travel fines after spate of snow crashes
- 7 Everything we know so far about Covid vaccinations in Norfolk and Waveney
- 8 Risk of flooding after parts of Norfolk see 8cm of snow
- 9 Norfolk to get rapid Covid test sites - to find people without symptoms
- 10 Man charged with drink-driving on the A11
The club was honoured by the presence of Celia Ashby, who had donated the shield a few years ago.
She followed the match with much interest and only wished that she was able to play again.
This was the last competitive match of the season. The closing drive will be held on Sunday, September 27.