Watton in shield battle
The second leg of the Ashby Shield, between Watton (Loch Neaton) Bowls Club and Bradenham, was played on the Watton green. The home team had a deficit of 23 shots to make up from the first leg, which was played at Bradenham over two weeks ago.
The second leg of the Ashby Shield, between Watton (Loch Neaton) Bowls Club and Bradenham, was played on the Watton green.
The home team had a deficit of 23 shots to make up from the first leg, which was played at Bradenham over two weeks ago.
At the midway stage of the match, contested over 18 ends, Watton's four mixed triples had pulled level on the overall shots. Unfortunately, they could not maintain their early form and all credit to the Bradenham team for holding their heads and picking up the shots in the latter stages.
John Forster's block, in particular, played extremely well to win by 18 shots against Terry Kavanagh, Brenda and Doug.
You may also want to watch:
For Watton, Dorothy with Ralph and Roy finished all square, Max, Thelma and Tony won by one shot, whilst John, Colin and Maureen won by 16 shots.
The final result therefore was a win for Bradenham by a total of 24 shots.
- 1 Household Cavalry to make Norfolk return
- 2 Norfolk's Covid rate still low despite slight rises in some areas
- 3 'Suspicious package' turns out to be hidden treasure chest
- 4 One of Norfolk's most expensive homes for sale for £3.5million
- 5 Teams to take on 375-mile walking challenge for Norfolk charities
- 6 Norfolk County Council elections 2021: Who is standing in Breckland?
- 7 Historic Debenhams building goes up for rent
- 8 Norfolk attractions enjoy 'amazing' Saturday as visitors flood back
- 9 'Thank you for everything' - How Norfolk marked Duke of Edinburgh's funeral
- 10 Further walk-in vaccination clinics being held across Norfolk and Waveney
The club was honoured by the presence of Celia Ashby, who had donated the shield a few years ago.
She followed the match with much interest and only wished that she was able to play again.
This was the last competitive match of the season. The closing drive will be held on Sunday, September 27.