Watton in shield battle
The second leg of the Ashby Shield, between Watton (Loch Neaton) Bowls Club and Bradenham, was played on the Watton green. The home team had a deficit of 23 shots to make up from the first leg, which was played at Bradenham over two weeks ago.
The second leg of the Ashby Shield, between Watton (Loch Neaton) Bowls Club and Bradenham, was played on the Watton green.
The home team had a deficit of 23 shots to make up from the first leg, which was played at Bradenham over two weeks ago.
At the midway stage of the match, contested over 18 ends, Watton's four mixed triples had pulled level on the overall shots. Unfortunately, they could not maintain their early form and all credit to the Bradenham team for holding their heads and picking up the shots in the latter stages.
John Forster's block, in particular, played extremely well to win by 18 shots against Terry Kavanagh, Brenda and Doug.
You may also want to watch:
For Watton, Dorothy with Ralph and Roy finished all square, Max, Thelma and Tony won by one shot, whilst John, Colin and Maureen won by 16 shots.
The final result therefore was a win for Bradenham by a total of 24 shots.
- 1 'Almost life changing' - school overjoyed with Every Child Online laptops
- 2 Inspectors praise Norfolk firefighters for help during Covid surge
- 3 Norfolk woman fined after travelling 200 miles to visit daughter
- 4 Ice warning after freezing temperatures overnight
- 5 Covid led to huge fall in Norfolk parking fines and £1.3m budget hole
- 6 It's 'a long, long way' until lockdown restrictions are lifted - Hancock
- 7 Discount hobby shop The Works 'could run out of money'
- 8 Councillor accused of 'squirming' over environmental centre finances
- 9 5 tips from Norwich expert to keep your car in peak condition in lockdown
- 10 Every Child Online: Funds flood in to schemes around the county
The club was honoured by the presence of Celia Ashby, who had donated the shield a few years ago.
She followed the match with much interest and only wished that she was able to play again.
This was the last competitive match of the season. The closing drive will be held on Sunday, September 27.