Watton gear up for new season
Watton United are gearing up for the challenge of the new Anglian Combination season – and the return of the A-team to the Central and South Norfolk League.
The first team, who finished mid-table in Division One last season, will be hoping to push higher this term under manager Vince Harwood.
And the reserves, relegated to Division Five, will be aiming to bounce back straight away, said manager Ian Hunt.
'We had a big shortage of players last year and obviously the first team took what was available, but we have some really good individuals and some more have been attracted already pre-season,' he said.
Training resumes on Wednesday at Watton Sports Centre, 7pm.
You may also want to watch:
And a series of pre-season friendlies is all lined up.
Watton have games against Attleborough on Friday, July 15, and Norwich St Johns on Thursday, July 21, Wisbech St Mary on Thursday, July 28 and Mundford on Thursday, August 4.
- 1 'Lost a couple of staff members a day' - how the 'pingdemic' is hitting Norfolk
- 2 'We will get it back' - Care home told to improve but boss stays positive
- 3 Met office issue weather warnings for thunderstorms in parts of Norfolk
- 4 Father and son rescued after being swept out to sea
- 5 'Slow down, save lives' - Police launch speed awareness campaign
- 6 Pings and exemptions: What are the rules around self-isolation?
- 7 Trains cancelled due to flooding - and more heavy rain expected
- 8 Pony hire business to offer circus shows in your garden
- 9 Crucial step taken towards new leisure centre for town
- 10 Public hearing for long-delayed A47 dualling plans
The reserves see themselves paired against Dereham A on Wednesday July 20, Thetford Rovers Reserves on Wednesday July 27 and Redgate Rangers on Friday August 5.
With both management teams confirmed for next season the club is looking for any local players and invite them to try out their abilities at training sessions taking place during July.
The club has also announced the return of Watton United A team to the league after a two-year break.
They will join the Crown Fire Central and South Norfolk League Division Four under the supervision of Chris Nurse.
Any players who are interested in joining up should visit www.wattonunitedfc.co.uk or email firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
In addition to looking for new players, the club are offering a unique advertising opportunity to local businesses. This year they are producing all-weather 8x2 foot pvc banners around the pitch at Dereham Road for only �52 per year.
For more information contact Paul Woods on 07917361762 or email@example.com
They are also interested in any business who want to make use of the club's new email newsletter and website area.
Meanwhile, Watton United FC and Watton Rugby Club are planning a charity game with a different type of ball – a 20/20 cricket game at Watton Sports Centre on Sunday, July 17. Players from each side will compete in a limited-over 20/20 format cricket match.
All spectators are welcome, with the first innings hitting off at 1.30pm and barbecue from 2.30pm onwards.