Watton dominate on court
ANOTHER successful week as division two leaders Watton I maintained their dominance with the visit of third-placed Barnham Broom II. An impressive Ian Thompson cruised to a 3-0 straight-game victory.
ITas another successful week as division two leaders Watton I maintained their dominance with the visit of third-placed Barnham Broom II.
An impressive Ian Thompson cruised to a 3-0 straight-game victory. A slow-starting Steve Rudd recovered from losing the first game to take the next three and come though 3-1.
First string Alan Soame was outclassed and went down 3-0. Jonathan Pearson narrowly lost the first 10-9 and also lost the second to go two down.
Jon fought back impressively and comfortably took the next two games to force a decider. Unfortunately he let it slip and went down 3-2. Vince Somers used all his experience, and despite dropping a game came through 3-1 against a feisty young opponent to seal a 16-8 Watton victory.
Watton II entertained Wensum Lodge with Chris Haythorpe cruising to a 9-5 9-2 9-4 straight game win.
Bobby Hunt (9-6 9-1 9-4) and Dev Mahatme (9-2 9-1 9-2) were both equally impressive, also winning in straight games.
- 1 Pair admit racial attack in Chinese restaurant
- 2 Serious road crash hotspots in Norfolk revealed as fatalities fall
- 3 Mother determined to use baby heartbreak to help other families
- 4 Explained: What the cost of living support package means for you
- 5 Where you can see the Red Arrows over Norfolk this weekend
- 6 Education bursary worth £1,000 launched to mark Queen's Jubilee
- 7 By George! Woman digs up coin 'from reign of George I'
- 8 GP allowed non-clinical staff to change medications, inspection shows
- 9 A47 reopens after man seriously injured in crash following police chase
- 10 'A wonderful achievement' - Carbrooke residents finally get community hub
First string Paul Goodchild (9-3 9-7 9-1) kept the momentum going with Wensum Lodge struggling to win a game. Captain Kevin Blake was last on court and looked out of sorts, losing the first 9-4. The match then improved as he fought back and had game ball in the next, but was edged out 10-8. Kevin deservedly took a close third 9-7. Fatigue then set in with him just losing the fourth 9-7 to go down 3-1. Overall, an 18-3 win for Watton, now fourth in the table.