Watton dominate on court
ANOTHER successful week as division two leaders Watton I maintained their dominance with the visit of third-placed Barnham Broom II. An impressive Ian Thompson cruised to a 3-0 straight-game victory.
ITas another successful week as division two leaders Watton I maintained their dominance with the visit of third-placed Barnham Broom II.
An impressive Ian Thompson cruised to a 3-0 straight-game victory. A slow-starting Steve Rudd recovered from losing the first game to take the next three and come though 3-1.
First string Alan Soame was outclassed and went down 3-0. Jonathan Pearson narrowly lost the first 10-9 and also lost the second to go two down.
Jon fought back impressively and comfortably took the next two games to force a decider. Unfortunately he let it slip and went down 3-2. Vince Somers used all his experience, and despite dropping a game came through 3-1 against a feisty young opponent to seal a 16-8 Watton victory.
You may also want to watch:
Watton II entertained Wensum Lodge with Chris Haythorpe cruising to a 9-5 9-2 9-4 straight game win.
Bobby Hunt (9-6 9-1 9-4) and Dev Mahatme (9-2 9-1 9-2) were both equally impressive, also winning in straight games.
- 1 One of Norfolk's most expensive homes for sale for £3.5million
- 2 Family attractions back for big weekend after months of shutdown
- 3 Norfolk has no Covid patients in critical care for first time in six months
- 4 'No guarantee' - doctor urges HPV vaccinated women to attend screenings
- 5 Norfolk man's year-long fitness challenge in memory of parents
- 6 Coronation Street star's surprise message to Norfolk care team
- 7 Norfolk County Council elections 2021: Who is standing in Breckland?
- 8 Covid vaccine rollout shifts dramatically in favour of second doses
- 9 Norfolk attractions enjoy 'amazing' Saturday as visitors flood back
- 10 Prince Philip's life and legacy remembered during poignant funeral
First string Paul Goodchild (9-3 9-7 9-1) kept the momentum going with Wensum Lodge struggling to win a game. Captain Kevin Blake was last on court and looked out of sorts, losing the first 9-4. The match then improved as he fought back and had game ball in the next, but was edged out 10-8. Kevin deservedly took a close third 9-7. Fatigue then set in with him just losing the fourth 9-7 to go down 3-1. Overall, an 18-3 win for Watton, now fourth in the table.