Watton beat champs Wells

Watton's good form has returned after a run of three straight losses by the odd goal, with maximum points taken from a home game against Long Stratton team last Tuesday, and a great win at champions Wells on Saturday.

Saturday's final fixture of the season sees Watton travel to bottom-of-the-table Bungay – and a 3-0 win will see them finally move onto positive goal difference, and a respectable 41 points for the season.

Wells Town 1, Watton United 2

Watton made the long trip to champions Wells on Easter Saturday, knowing how inhospitable that ground has been to the Brecklanders in previous seasons.

Watton rode their luck at times with Smart beaten by Sutherland-Gray on a few occasions early in the half, and it was the Wells number nine who deservedly put the home team in the lead to add to his 42-goal haul for the season after 20 minutes.

But with Watton's good team spirit, they fought back within two minutes from the re-start after some great one-touch football between Bloomfield, Carl Allibone and Fincham carving open the Wells back line to release Huckle to level the scores clinically from just inside the area.

Most Read

Watton continued to ride their luck, and had centre-back Deere and keeper Bond to thank for some last-ditch defending, and some awful finishing from Wells' Gray and Grocott keeping the scores level at the interval.

Wells found man-of-the-match Bond in inspired form, with three top-class saves keeping the scores level.

Watton secured all three points with a breakaway goal five minutes from time, top scorer Huckle showing great composure and skill to drive in the area and cross for Carl Allibone to slot home in the bottom corner from 10 yards. This capped a combative performance in the heart of midfield.

But it was the nature of the victory for Watton which tasted so sweet, as they had tried to play attractive football against a Wells team whose long-ball tactics, and physical exchanges in the second half saw numerous players booked from both sides. Deere was controversially sent off late on for hand-ball.

Watton United 8, Long Stratton 0

Watton hosted sixth-placed Long Stratton in a rearranged game under lights last Tuesday, and found themselves in the driving seat from the whistle, with Bloomfield going close from a Harry Brown corner.

After an early scare, Watton took the game to the visitors, and two well-taken goals from top scorer Huckle after good work by strike partner Mark Allibone, and Mark Woods gave Watton some breathing space.

After scoring the third, and killing off any chance of a Long Stratton fightback, they took the game to their visitors in sublime style after the introduction of Leggett in midfield.

The large home crowd was rewarded with a great second half display of passing and movement, which saw Huckle score a further two more.

The latter came from a good passage of play down the right, resulting in pin point delivery from right-back James Brown for Huckle to score at the far post.

Other goals were from Mark Allibone, Kevin Bloomfield, and centre back Ben Smart, with Fincham rounding off Watton's biggest home win for four years with a determined run and finish, and a man-of-the-match performance on his 19th birthday.

n Watton Reserves completed their fixture list with a good performance away at St Andrews, losing by the odd goal of three.

They now find themselves with a struggle to stay in Division Four with both Caister and Spixworth closing the gap, with fixtures in hand.