Watton back on form

Watton 24, Wisbech II 5WATTON returned to form this weekend after a disappointing time for the developing team against probably the better opposition in Norfolk Merit League One.

Watton 24, Wisbech II 5

WATTON returned to form this weekend after a disappointing time for the developing team against probably the better opposition in Norfolk Merit League One.

Watton welcomed the travelling Wisbech II side to their mid-table clash at Dereham Road and with the onset of autumn bringing damper conditions to the pitch, made the playing of rugby a joy again after weeks of extremely hard playing surfaces.

Playing with the slope, Watton opened the match with some shows of strength, perhaps working at too higher pace which was inevitably unsustainable.

Coach Moxham leading the pack and leading by example made some superb text book tackles, settled the team into a more controlled rhythm of play.

First points for Watton came after Wisbech scrum clearance ball failed to make touch deep in the Watton 22.

Most Read

Full-back Turnbull set off on one of his trade mark runs scything through his opposition putting Stickland through to the Wisbech 22.

With more work to do, Stickland handed off his attackers breaking their tackles with only the fullback making an impact, the close supporting Tilley received an over the shoulder pass from the young centre to slide in under the posts, Turnbull converting.

Wisbech came back almost immediately making the game great to watch for the spectators.

Both sides clashed and the forwards battled hard to try to gain supremacy, a lot of very hard work for no extra points.

The next score fell Watton's way after the 35-minute mark, two great phases of forward play in the Wisbech 22 culminated in the youthful lock Bayley picking the ball from the base of the ruck, taking the contact and driving in from five metres out for the unconverted points, 12-0.

Wisbech had an opportunity to bring the score back after some unnecessary back chat to the referee from Watton gave them the penalty which slewed left of the posts, bringing the half to an end.

Wisbech came out fighting and plagued the home side for the first 15 minutes of the new half. Their pack played to their strengths and the number eight made foraging runs that tested the Watton defence.

With the new confidence, their backs mounted numerous counterattacks after any lose ball came their way.

The pressure was going to break either side eventually. Some toughed out play, great performances by Amys and Eagle saw ball turned over, fly-half Stone putting flanker White through for a 60 metre dash up the pitch with only the initial tackle to beat and his covering full-back to fend off for the unconverted score in the corner, score 17-0.

Dogged continued play by the visiting side saw their pressure on the Watton defence pay off as the sizable number eight Samos came through low and at pace to score but disappointingly for them the conversion veered right of the posts.

Last points of the match fell to the home side after Wisbech were penalised for holding the ball in the tackle.

This gave the quick-thinking Turnbull the chance to practise a well-worked training ground move from 10 metres inside the Wisbech half.

Stickland, in fine form, did the damage, cutting through the defensive onslaught, with Tilley again collecting the spoils as he celebrated as he slid in under the posts, the conversion the final kick of the game bringing the final score to 24-5.

Next week, another test for the side, home against Lakenham Hewett in the first round of the Wordfordes Norfolk Cup, all support appreciated.