Try fest for Swaffham
Swaffham 92, Fakenham 7Nerves were on edge on Saturday as Fakenham travelled to Swaffham to take on the Yellows' first XV in a friendly game which the home team didn't expect to win.
Swaffham 92, Fakenham 7
Nerves were on edge on Saturday as Fakenham travelled to Swaffham to take on the Yellows' first XV in a friendly game which the home team didn't expect to win.
Despite expectations, Swaffham started the game with all guns blazing and took Fakenham completely by surprise, scoring try after try in what turned out to be a very one-sided first half with a score of 47-0 by the end of the first 40 minutes.
As the second half kicked off, Fakenham's tempers started to fray, and fisticuffs ensued, however Swaffham drove on relentlessly until the 70th minute when a dubious yellow card incident saw the home side reduced to 14 men.
This gave Fakenham the opportunity to slip a try over the line and bring the score to 71-7.
With only 10 minutes left to play, the crowd were entertained by a Fakenham voice shouting: 'Come on lads, we're on the scoreboard now; we can win this.'
- 1 Two new play areas costing £72,000 open in town park
- 2 New fishing tackle shop has 'amazing opening day'
- 3 Woman in her 20s dies in A47 crash
- 4 Pupils design greeting card to welcome residents to new Swaffham estate
- 5 Lakeside proposal gone wrong watched by millions on TikTok
- 6 Ben & Jerry's ice cream sold at Sainsbury's recalled due to health concerns
- 7 Teacher banned after 'inappropriate contact' with teenaged pupils
- 8 Man repeatedly kicked in the head by group during road rage attack
- 9 Gold Mercedes crashes through windows of Norfolk supermarket
- 10 Weird Norfolk: The jilted Tudor ghost that haunts a National Trust hall
Swaffham continued to pile drive the visiting Fakenham to end the game with an epic 92-7 win, and the home side's only regret was that this was a friendly and not a league game.
Meanwhile, Swaffham's second XV also had a good result over Fakenham's seconds when they beat them away 20-17 in a Woodforde's Merit Division Two game.