Title hopes boosted as Swaffham Town extend winning streak
- Credit: Eddie Deane
The remarkable winning run of Swaffham Town has been extended even further, as the Pedlars move closer to winning the Thurlow Nunn First Division title.
Paul Hunt's team have now won their last nine matches, scoring 30 goals and conceding just six along the way.
The latest victory was a 3-0 success at Debenham LC, historically a place difficult to pick up goals or points.
The on-form Pedlars made light of strong winds, breaking the deadlock in the 29th minute when Matt Castellan got his head to an Alex Vincent corner, thumping the ball into the back of the net.
There was frustration for the Hornets on the stroke of half-time when a low driven corner from the right saw Castellan bag his brace from two yards out.
You may also want to watch:
Swaffham defended well with the wind in their faces after the break and landed the final blow with 10 minutes to go, Liam Reed playing Dylan Edge through, who beat the right-back and passed into the net leaving the goalkeeper standing.
The result keeps the Pedlars two points clear of Long Melford at the top, with a game in hand, and with promotion looking almost certain.
- 1 1,000-year-old church to hold fundraising concerts
- 2 Fresh weather warning with Storm Evert set to hit Norfolk
- 3 Every Norfolk primary school rated as 'Outstanding'
- 4 Photos capture impressive storm clouds dominating Norfolk skyline
- 5 Stretch of A11 closed due to 'large amount' of tyre debris on road
- 6 Stunning double rainbows follow thunderstorms
- 7 Opinion: Simple planning could help save money on Inheritance Tax
- 8 7 of the prettiest villages to visit in Norfolk
- 9 More than 100,000 young people have had Covid jab in Norfolk and Waveney
- 10 People 'driving across the county' to new Indian street food van
That could be sealed over a busy Easter weekend ahead, with two matches at home. On Saturday it is struggling Cornard United who visit Shoemakers Lane and then on Easter Monday it is fellow promotion hopefuls Great Yarmouth Town.
Both fixtures kick-off at 3pm, with victories going a long way to repeating Swaffham's First Division title success of 2001.