Title chase continues for Swaffham Town
- Credit: Eddie Deane
There was a healthy crowd in attendance to watch Swaffham Town continue their title chase with derby victory over Downham Town.
Friday the 13th is supposed to be a day of bad luck but it was not for the Pedlars, running out 3-1 winners in front of 244 spectators, courtesy of being involved in the Thurlow Nunn League's groundhopper weekend.
Swaffham scored an early goal after just 10 minutes, with the First Division's top scorer Alex Vincent putting the home side ahead. This was closely followed two minutes later by a Joe Jackson effort to double the lead.
Downham regrouped and settled back into the game, the remainder of the half seeing opportunities at both ends, the most notable coming for the Pedlars when both Mark Alliborne and Matthew Prudence went close.
Twenty minutes into the second half Dale Stokes pulled a goal back for the visitors, a well placed free-kick leaving keeper Lee Brooks with no chance, with the placement of the wall and whether or not it shifted before the kick no doubt discussed after the game.
But Vincent ensured victory for the Pedlars after being denied a goal-scoring chance in the penalty area when he was brought down in front of goal, seeing Downham defender Pat Yates sent off.
Vincent converted the penalty in added time to briefly elevate the Pedlars to top spot, which was reclaimed by Long Melford on Saturday with a 1-0 home win against Leiston Reserves, although Swaffham have two games in hand. Vincent now has 24 goals in 27 games to sit top of the First Division scoring charts.
- 1 'Some haven't had a cut since Covid' - hairdresser on growing challenges
- 2 GP allowed non-clinical staff to change medications, inspection shows
- 3 Share of £120,000 cash pot on offer to Breckland groups
- 4 Female governor of Norfolk prison says job is 'easier than being a mum'
- 5 Can you answer these 10 GCSE questions designed for 16-year-olds?
- 6 Woman in 70s left with life-threatening injuries after crash near Swaffham
- 7 Readers reveal top 10 fish and chips - but the battle is on for top spot
- 8 Video footage appeal after car crashed into A47 central reservation
- 9 Former military man appointed as council's new chairman
- 10 Iceland offers over 60s discount on shopping bill every week
This Saturday the Pedlars travel to Leiston before hosting Kings Lynn Reserves at Shoemakers Lane on Tuesday (7.45pm).