Thurlow Nunn First Division: Swaffham Town 2 March Town United 1
- Credit: Eddie Deane
Winning ways have returned for Swaffham Town after ending a fortnight wait to get back to league action in the Thurlow Nunn Eastern Counties First Division.
The Pedlars' last game was a 3-0 loss at Haverhill Borough on October 25 but the long wait to put that result behind them finally ended on Saturday with a 2-1 home win against March Town United.
The wind made conditions difficult at Shoemakers Lane but both sides still demonstrated fast, skilful football at a good standard.
Swaffham should have punished the Hares early in the game and possibly had two or three by half-time, but the decisive play for goal never came off.
The visitors broke the deadlock in the 53rd minute after good attacking build-up, leaving goalkeeper Lee Brooks with no chance.
Swaffham equalised five minutes later when captain Dean Miller got the better of a goalmouth scramble and thumped home from eight yards.
Alex Vincent, finally showing signs of getting back to form after injury, then hit the winner with a screamer from 20 yards, lashing across goal into the top right-hand corner.
- 1 Pair admit racial attack in Chinese restaurant
- 2 Serious road crash hotspots in Norfolk revealed as fatalities fall
- 3 Explained: What the cost of living support package means for you
- 4 Where you can see the Red Arrows over Norfolk this weekend
- 5 Education bursary worth £1,000 launched to mark Queen's Jubilee
- 6 GP allowed non-clinical staff to change medications, inspection shows
- 7 OPINION: The price of happiness and contentment
- 8 By George! Woman digs up coin 'from reign of George I'
- 9 Lane of A47 remains shut after serious crash yesterday afternoon
- 10 A47 closed for several hours following crash in west Norfolk
With 24 minutes remaining, the Pedlars dug deep to hold defence and had an opportunity to get a third but failed to hit the target. On Saturday Swaffham, now three points off top spot in fourth place in the table, travel to lowly Woodbridge Town who have picked up just 11 points from their 13 games so far this season.