Thurlow Nunn First Division: Swaffham Town 0 Saffron Walden 1
- Credit: Eddie Deane
League leaders Saffron Walden rode their luck to beat Swaffham Town at Shoemakers Lane.
The Pedlars felt a draw would have been more fitting but they were twice denied an equaliser by the woodwork and in the dying moments an outstanding save from the visiting keeper prevented Alex Vincent from claiming another contender for goal of the season.
The points could prove decisive in the race for the Thurlow Nunn First Division title come the end of the season so the Pedlars will need to look to nullify the points won in the return fixture in March.
The result came on the back of Swaffham's departure from the Norfolk Senior Cup last week when higher-level opponents Wroxham, playing two levels above the Pedlars in Ryman North, won 5-0.
Swaffham had felt the result was not a true reflection on the game, as they had chances that they were unable to convert, with the visitors' stamina and fitness showing through in the closing minutes.
Tenth-placed Stowmarket Town visit Shoemakers Lane this Saturday (kick-off 3pm) in league action.
For the second weekend in a row Swaffham Reserves were without a game in Anglian Combination Division Three, as South Walsham's pitch was unfit for play.
- 1 New lake could be dug in west Norfolk tourism hotspot
- 2 How Covid restrictions will change in England this week
- 3 Devastated family wrongly told prisoner hanged himself weeks before release
- 4 Further cold weather alert for Norfolk and Waveney
- 5 Woman to stand trial following fatal crash with motorcyclist
- 6 Travelodge looking at nine sites for new hotels across Norfolk
- 7 Air ambulance called after three people seriously injured in A47 crash
- 8 Decision expected within weeks on 40 homes in village
- 9 Public toilets unusable after been vandalised four times in a week
- 10 How are England's Covid restrictions changing after Plan B?
This Saturday the third-placed reserves travel to struggling Loddon United's second-string.