Thurlow Nunn First Division: Swaffham Town 0 Saffron Walden 1
- Credit: Eddie Deane
League leaders Saffron Walden rode their luck to beat Swaffham Town at Shoemakers Lane.
The Pedlars felt a draw would have been more fitting but they were twice denied an equaliser by the woodwork and in the dying moments an outstanding save from the visiting keeper prevented Alex Vincent from claiming another contender for goal of the season.
The points could prove decisive in the race for the Thurlow Nunn First Division title come the end of the season so the Pedlars will need to look to nullify the points won in the return fixture in March.
The result came on the back of Swaffham's departure from the Norfolk Senior Cup last week when higher-level opponents Wroxham, playing two levels above the Pedlars in Ryman North, won 5-0.
Swaffham had felt the result was not a true reflection on the game, as they had chances that they were unable to convert, with the visitors' stamina and fitness showing through in the closing minutes.
Tenth-placed Stowmarket Town visit Shoemakers Lane this Saturday (kick-off 3pm) in league action.
For the second weekend in a row Swaffham Reserves were without a game in Anglian Combination Division Three, as South Walsham's pitch was unfit for play.
- 1 Two new play areas costing £72,000 open in town park
- 2 New fishing tackle shop has 'amazing opening day'
- 3 Woman in her 20s dies in A47 crash
- 4 Lakeside proposal gone wrong watched by millions on TikTok
- 5 Pupils design greeting card to welcome residents to new Swaffham estate
- 6 WEIRD NORFOLK: The Ghost Train of King's Lynn
- 7 Man repeatedly kicked in the head by group during road rage attack
- 8 Ben & Jerry's ice cream sold at Sainsbury's recalled due to health concerns
- 9 Gold Mercedes crashes through windows of Norfolk supermarket
- 10 Teacher banned after 'inappropriate contact' with teenaged pupils
This Saturday the third-placed reserves travel to struggling Loddon United's second-string.