Thurlow Nunn First Division: Swaffham Town 0 Saffron Walden 1
- Credit: Eddie Deane
League leaders Saffron Walden rode their luck to beat Swaffham Town at Shoemakers Lane.
The Pedlars felt a draw would have been more fitting but they were twice denied an equaliser by the woodwork and in the dying moments an outstanding save from the visiting keeper prevented Alex Vincent from claiming another contender for goal of the season.
The points could prove decisive in the race for the Thurlow Nunn First Division title come the end of the season so the Pedlars will need to look to nullify the points won in the return fixture in March.
The result came on the back of Swaffham's departure from the Norfolk Senior Cup last week when higher-level opponents Wroxham, playing two levels above the Pedlars in Ryman North, won 5-0.
Swaffham had felt the result was not a true reflection on the game, as they had chances that they were unable to convert, with the visitors' stamina and fitness showing through in the closing minutes.
You may also want to watch:
Tenth-placed Stowmarket Town visit Shoemakers Lane this Saturday (kick-off 3pm) in league action.
For the second weekend in a row Swaffham Reserves were without a game in Anglian Combination Division Three, as South Walsham's pitch was unfit for play.
- 1 Unique Norfolk tower wins national architecture award
- 2 People urged to share their views on the future of Breckland towns
- 3 Revealed: The most expensive towns to buy a home in Norfolk
- 4 Woman left 'penniless' while waiting five weeks for first pension payment
- 5 Town to introduce ice skating at annual Christmas light switch-on
- 6 Why I Love Norfolk: Ben and Matthew Conway
- 7 'Appalling' online abuse targeted at MPs
- 8 Former army officer resigns as councillor for 'personal reasons'
- 9 Roads to close in Swaffham for Christmas market weekend
- 10 Man pulled teen from car and held knife to his throat in attack
This Saturday the third-placed reserves travel to struggling Loddon United's second-string.