Swaffham youngsters in action
Swaffham U13 12, Spalding 41Swaffham U13 took the game to Spalding when the two teams met on Sunday. Swaffham had some great possession early on, and despite putting a determined Spalding team under pressure they failed to capitalise on this.
Swaffham U13 12, Spalding 41
Swaffham U13 took the game to Spalding when the two teams met on Sunday.
Swaffham had some great possession early on, and despite putting a determined Spalding team under pressure they failed to capitalise on this.
Spalding hit them on the break with an extremely fast winger who ran half the pitch to score the first try of the game. This was converted by Spalding.
You may also want to watch:
Undeterred, the U13s immediately took the game back into the Spalding half and with some great forward work soon had Spalding on the back foot.
Their reward for the continued pressure was some quick ball out to the backs and with the Spalding forwards committed, Kane P broke through two tackles to go over for a try. Unfortunately the conversion was missed.
- 1 Five-acre allotment site to be sold after failed council land swap deal
- 2 UEA expert: Covid isolation 'will still be needed in a year's time'
- 3 Every Norfolk primary school rated as 'Outstanding'
- 4 Fresh weather warning with Storm Evert set to hit Norfolk
- 5 1,000-year-old church to hold fundraising concerts
- 6 Stretch of A11 closed due to 'large amount' of tyre debris on road
- 7 Crucial step taken towards new leisure centre for town
- 8 Stunning double rainbows follow thunderstorms
- 9 Trains cancelled due to flooding - and more heavy rain expected
- 10 'We will get it back' - Care home told to improve but boss stays positive
After the restart Spalding took more of a control of the game and despite some determined tackling by Swaffham Spalding went further into the lead with two more tries before half-time.
The beginning of the second half saw Spalding continue to pressure the Swaffham defence, but with some hard tackling and great determination Swaffham held them off and forced Spalding into mistakes which resulted in a Swaffham penalty, allowing them to counter attack with Louis Gent taking a quick tap and go, sidestepping a couple of players before being tackled but with close support from the forwards Swaffham were soon battling back in the Spalding half.
A line-out to Spalding though gave them the chance they needed though to kick the ball into space and for their extremely fast winger to get on the end of and score another try.
Swaffham, a fairly new team at U13s, showed great spirit in keeping their heads up and soon after the restart Edward scored the squads second try of the morning. The try was successful following good passing moves by the backs, and was subsequently converted by Jasper. This was after some great forward work with Chris - nearly scoring, just being held up over the line.
Ed, Swaffham team captain, had a great game leading from the front and was awarded man of the match.
Team: Connor, Callum M, Callum W, Chris, Jasper, Jack, Jared, Ed, Louis, Kane P, Steven, Robert, Alex, Buster and Ryan.