Swaffham Town win twice in five days to move up to third
- Credit: Archant
Victories for the first team and reserves on Saturday provided the icing on the cake for Swaffham Town following a productive week.
A gritty performance against Diss Town in midweek saw the Pedlars go 2-0 down in the first 22 minutes before hitting back to win 4-2.
Matthew Blackford tucked away a fumbled ball on the goal line to begin the comeback and Alex Vincent thrashed a ball in from the left hand side to bringing the scores level in added time before the break.
Joe Jackson opened his account in the 50th minute and then put the game to bed five minutes later, ensuring the Pedlars took all three Thurlow Nunn League Division One points.
A visit to the King George V playing fields in Ipswich on Saturday to take on third in the table Whitton United was a tough assigment but the Pedlars rose to the challenge by winning 2-0, making it two league wins in the space of five days.
The visitors were first out of the blocks, with Jackson playing Vincent through in the third minute to slot the ball past the keeper and into the bottom right hand side of the net.
With both sides playing some good football Swaffham made it 2-0 on 61 minutes after a mistake in the Whitton defence. Vincent was the first to react and punished the error by chipping the stranded keeper from 18 yards.
- 1 A47 reopens after serious crash near Swaffham
- 2 Teacher banned after 'inappropriate contact' with teenaged pupils
- 3 Man repeatedly kicked in the head by group during road rage attack
- 4 Oyez! Oyez! Oyez! UK's top town crier crowned in Norfolk
- 5 Gold Mercedes crashes through windows of Norfolk supermarket
- 6 Classic car show returns with vintage motorbikes and 'auto jumble' sale
- 7 A47 near Swaffham reopens after crash
- 8 Motorcyclist who died in crash with minivan named
- 9 Interim parish council takes office after mass resignations
- 10 Property: How do the new laws for renters affect you?
Steady play then ensured a clean sheet for Sam Pishorn and three more points were enough to take the Pedlars up to third place.
Swaffham are at home on Saturday, with Essex side Holland FC providing the opposition.
The Pedlars then travel to Plantation Park the following Wednesday evening to take on Norwich United Under-23s.
Back at Shoemakers Lane, a fine victory over Long Stratton Reserves saw Swaffham's second string climb to seventh in Division Three of the Anglian Combination, Sam Carter (2) and Alfie Brindle sealing the 3-2 win. The Reserves are away to Blofield United Reserves on Saturday.
The Under-18s marched on in the Thurlow Nunn Youth North Division with a 4-0 victory over FDL Rangers. Goals from Cameron Lee, Korben Willis and Kieran Bruce (2) strengthened their position at the top.
The Veterans put up a fine display against Mattishall Wanderers before going down 2-0. Next Sunday they play Easton at St Faiths in the second round of the Norfolk County Veterans Cup (1.30pm).