Swaffham Town win twice in five days to move up to third
- Credit: Archant
Victories for the first team and reserves on Saturday provided the icing on the cake for Swaffham Town following a productive week.
A gritty performance against Diss Town in midweek saw the Pedlars go 2-0 down in the first 22 minutes before hitting back to win 4-2.
Matthew Blackford tucked away a fumbled ball on the goal line to begin the comeback and Alex Vincent thrashed a ball in from the left hand side to bringing the scores level in added time before the break.
Joe Jackson opened his account in the 50th minute and then put the game to bed five minutes later, ensuring the Pedlars took all three Thurlow Nunn League Division One points.
A visit to the King George V playing fields in Ipswich on Saturday to take on third in the table Whitton United was a tough assigment but the Pedlars rose to the challenge by winning 2-0, making it two league wins in the space of five days.
The visitors were first out of the blocks, with Jackson playing Vincent through in the third minute to slot the ball past the keeper and into the bottom right hand side of the net.
With both sides playing some good football Swaffham made it 2-0 on 61 minutes after a mistake in the Whitton defence. Vincent was the first to react and punished the error by chipping the stranded keeper from 18 yards.
- 1 Plan B measures to be scrapped across England
- 2 Decision expected within weeks on 40 homes in village
- 3 'Man with a van' fined for dumping waste in village
- 4 Inquest into Banham Poultry deaths adjourned again amid manslaughter probe
- 5 Meet the couple who won holidays by the sea for a year
- 6 'We must learn to live with Covid' says health secretary on Plan B's end
- 7 Perfect close-up of 'Wolf Moon' captured in Norfolk by astrophotographer
- 8 Aldi chocolate and yoghurts containing metal among recent recalled products
- 9 Air ambulance called after three people seriously injured in A47 crash
- 10 People who test positive on lateral flows no longer need PCR
Steady play then ensured a clean sheet for Sam Pishorn and three more points were enough to take the Pedlars up to third place.
Swaffham are at home on Saturday, with Essex side Holland FC providing the opposition.
The Pedlars then travel to Plantation Park the following Wednesday evening to take on Norwich United Under-23s.
Back at Shoemakers Lane, a fine victory over Long Stratton Reserves saw Swaffham's second string climb to seventh in Division Three of the Anglian Combination, Sam Carter (2) and Alfie Brindle sealing the 3-2 win. The Reserves are away to Blofield United Reserves on Saturday.
The Under-18s marched on in the Thurlow Nunn Youth North Division with a 4-0 victory over FDL Rangers. Goals from Cameron Lee, Korben Willis and Kieran Bruce (2) strengthened their position at the top.
The Veterans put up a fine display against Mattishall Wanderers before going down 2-0. Next Sunday they play Easton at St Faiths in the second round of the Norfolk County Veterans Cup (1.30pm).