Swaffham Town warm up for big kick-off with comprehensive friendly win
- Credit: Archant
As the new season looms, the pre-season preparations for Swaffham Town appear to be on track.
There was a good 2-1 away win at Peterborough North Star in midweek, with a Blake Stangroome goal and an own goal sealing the victory.
A confident 6-1 win against St Andrews on Saturday then gave the Shoemakers Lane supporters a taste of what they will be hoping to see throughout the season.
Stangroome opened the scoring in the 17th minute following a great build-up, Alex Vincent playing the ball inside to Nathan Trundle to cross for Stangroome to clinically finish.
The second goal, the first of a hat-trick for Vincent, saw him played through and rounding the keeper to slot home.
You may also want to watch:
The best goal of the afternoon was scored by Vincent in the 31st minute, with gritty determination to get the ball, two blocks on two defenders attempting to clear and then a cheeky chip over the keeper from 10 yards out.
Joe Jackson made it 4-0 on the stroke of half-time, replicating Vincent's first goal after being played through and taking it past the keeper.
- 1 'I didn't want to bother NHS' - Cancer scare mum urges others to seek help
- 2 'Don't mix, shop online' - People urged to go beyond lockdown rules
- 3 Vaccines roll-out to move on to over 70s
- 4 Norfolk's first mass Covid vaccination centre to open in food court
- 5 Mass coronavirus vaccination centre opens in Norwich today
- 6 Drivers face non-essential travel fines after spate of snow crashes
- 7 Norfolk to get rapid Covid test sites - to find people without symptoms
- 8 Everything we know so far about Covid vaccinations in Norfolk and Waveney
- 9 Risk of flooding after parts of Norfolk see 8cm of snow
- 10 Man charged with drink-driving on the A11
Early in the second half Anglian Combination side St Andrews pulled one back through a defensive mix-up, Luis Duarte wrong-footing keeper Sam Pishorn with a back pass.
Two further goals for the Pedlars in the second half, Jackson making it a brace and captain Vincent claiming his hat-trick, completed the scoring in an entertaining friendly.
The opening game of the new Thurlow Nunn League Division One season takes place at Shoemakers Lane this Saturday (3pm), with Needham Market Reserves their first opponents. The following Wednesday evening the Pedlars travel to play Wisbech St Mary.
The Under 18s continue their preparations with a win against a Woottons side.
Everyone at the club was sad to hear about the loss of Trevor Head, who had played an important role fo the Pedlars as player, manager, committee member and enthusiastic supporter.
The club would like to share pass in their condolences to family and friends of Trevor at this sad time.