Swaffham Town top scorer Joe Jackson ‘hungry’ for Norwich United challenge
- Credit: Eddie Deane
Swaffham Town have seen top scorer Joe Jackson make a summer switch to Norwich United, following a fantastic finish to last season.
The striker scored eight goals in the Pedlars' final five matches to take his overall tally for the season to 22 goals in 35 matches, just edging Alex Vincent's 21 goals in 42 games.
Two wins in the last four matches was not enough to prevent Swaffham finishing in the bottom three in the Thurlow Nunn Premier Division.
However a relegation reprieve has been gratefully received and former Manchester City striker Rob Taylor has been brought in as manager to replace the outgoing managerial duo of Matt Parkinson and Scott Lumsden.
The Norwich-born 45-year-old has previously managed Dereham, Diss, Watton and Holt, and had a caretaker spell at King's Lynn.
You may also want to watch:
Jackson has decided to join Norwich in making the step up to Ryman League Division One North though, being brought in after star striker Matt Blake joined Ryman Premier side Leiston, having scored 119 goals in three seasons for the Planters.
The Swaffham striker was unveiled as one of four new players shortly after the Blofield-based club announced that assistant Steve Eastaugh, formerly David Batch's right-hand man at Sudbury and St Neots, was taking over as their manager.
- 1 Farms, former rail lines and old buildings set to be sold off by council
- 2 'Disgusting' - councillor slams culprits for defecating on footpaths and in front gardens
- 3 'He's a dear little dog' - Thieves steal family pet Arthur
- 4 Town’s Christmas market cancelled as ‘too close to lockdown’
- 5 Seven wonders of Watton
- 6 Find out which two books changed this investor's approach to retirement planning
- 7 Shop Local: Council urge shoppers to use market towns this Christmas
- 8 Schools in Norfolk closed or partially shut due to coronavirus
- 9 Where in Norfolk can you celebrate Christmas in church this year?
- 10 Norfolk man jailed for part in raids to blow up cashpoints
Harleston defender Sam Watts, Spixworth midfielder Shaun Wones and North Walsham striker Liam Jackson – after scoring 50 goals for the Angels last season – were also unveiled alongside Jackson.
'Joe is hungry to test himself at a higher level and we have always been very impressed with him, when playing against him,' Eastaugh said.
'Liam is a young man who has made a fantastic start to his senior career and we look forward to helping support his progression.
'Both bring with them a hunger to play for Norwich United Football Club, strong work ethic and the ability to do the most important job in the game, score goals.'
• Swaffham Town Football and Social Club will be holding its annual general meeting on Monday, June 20, in the clubhouse at 7pm.
All interested parties are invited. A nomination paper for officers and committee members has been posted in the clubhouse.
Following the AGM the Club will remain open for the Slovakia v England match. The club will be open for all of England's Euro 2016 fixtures.