Swaffham Town top scorer Joe Jackson ‘hungry’ for Norwich United challenge
- Credit: Eddie Deane
Swaffham Town have seen top scorer Joe Jackson make a summer switch to Norwich United, following a fantastic finish to last season.
The striker scored eight goals in the Pedlars' final five matches to take his overall tally for the season to 22 goals in 35 matches, just edging Alex Vincent's 21 goals in 42 games.
Two wins in the last four matches was not enough to prevent Swaffham finishing in the bottom three in the Thurlow Nunn Premier Division.
However a relegation reprieve has been gratefully received and former Manchester City striker Rob Taylor has been brought in as manager to replace the outgoing managerial duo of Matt Parkinson and Scott Lumsden.
The Norwich-born 45-year-old has previously managed Dereham, Diss, Watton and Holt, and had a caretaker spell at King's Lynn.
You may also want to watch:
Jackson has decided to join Norwich in making the step up to Ryman League Division One North though, being brought in after star striker Matt Blake joined Ryman Premier side Leiston, having scored 119 goals in three seasons for the Planters.
The Swaffham striker was unveiled as one of four new players shortly after the Blofield-based club announced that assistant Steve Eastaugh, formerly David Batch's right-hand man at Sudbury and St Neots, was taking over as their manager.
- 1 Unique Norfolk tower wins national architecture award
- 2 People urged to share their views on the future of Breckland towns
- 3 Woman left 'penniless' while waiting five weeks for first pension payment
- 4 Revealed: The most expensive towns to buy a home in Norfolk
- 5 Town to introduce ice skating at annual Christmas light switch-on
- 6 'Appalling' online abuse targeted at MPs
- 7 Why I Love Norfolk: Ben and Matthew Conway
- 8 Former army officer resigns as councillor for 'personal reasons'
- 9 Man pulled teen from car and held knife to his throat in attack
- 10 Fly-tipping couple fined £400 for dumping mattress
Harleston defender Sam Watts, Spixworth midfielder Shaun Wones and North Walsham striker Liam Jackson – after scoring 50 goals for the Angels last season – were also unveiled alongside Jackson.
'Joe is hungry to test himself at a higher level and we have always been very impressed with him, when playing against him,' Eastaugh said.
'Liam is a young man who has made a fantastic start to his senior career and we look forward to helping support his progression.
'Both bring with them a hunger to play for Norwich United Football Club, strong work ethic and the ability to do the most important job in the game, score goals.'
• Swaffham Town Football and Social Club will be holding its annual general meeting on Monday, June 20, in the clubhouse at 7pm.
All interested parties are invited. A nomination paper for officers and committee members has been posted in the clubhouse.
Following the AGM the Club will remain open for the Slovakia v England match. The club will be open for all of England's Euro 2016 fixtures.