Swaffham Town score four times in final 30 minutes to claim comprehensive win
- Credit: Archant
Swaffham Town recorded a comprehensive home win in difficult conditions against a strong, competitive team.
On a Shoemakers Lane surface in good condition considering the heavy pre-match rain, the Pedlars had to bide their time against the visitors from Essex, with all the goals coming in the final half hour of the game.
The deadlock was finally broken in the 61st minute when Joe Jackson was played through on the right wing and squared to Alex Vincent to knock home from 10 yards.
A second goal came just four minutes later, a low cross from the left touchline pinging through the area and Matthew Blackford getting the decisive touch.
Luck was on Swaffham's side - which has not always been the case this season - in the 73rd minute when a bizarre third goal put them in complete control,
You may also want to watch:
Alan Woodcock chased for a through ball which was clearly the keeper's to clear but he made a complete hash of his attempted clearance, which thumped against the side of the home player's head. The rebound made its way to the goal-line and crept over before the keeper could recover.
Blackford claimed his second and Swaffham's fourth in the 77th minute. Holland were unable to clear their lines, with three blocked shots from the Pedlars before Blackford finally volleyed home from 12 yards.
- 1 Who can get a Covid booster jab and how can I book one?
- 2 Could we face coronavirus restrictions over Christmas?
- 3 What is the government's Plan B for Covid this winter?
- 4 Night out safety advice issued after drink-spiking reports in Norfolk
- 5 Delays on A47 due to collapsed manhole cover
- 6 Game of Thrones and The Crown actor to star in Norfolk play
- 7 Town to introduce ice skating at annual Christmas light switch-on
- 8 Norfolk carer named one of best in the country
- 9 Farm park wins accolade for helping 'amazing' rare animals
- 10 Police chief urges people to be sensible this Halloween
Three well-deserved points saw the continuation of the good recent league form league form which has seen Swaffham climb to fourth in the Thurlow Nunn League Division One table. The Pedlars travel to Norwich United Reserves this evening (Wednesday) and are then away on Saturday at Debenham LC, where they will be hoping to avenge their defeat in the First Division Cup.
The Reserves also maintained their form with a 4-2 victory away to Blofield Reserves, Blake Stangroome, Kieran Bruce, Alfie Brindle and Diyan Andanov all making the scoresheet. They are at home to South Walsham on Saturday.
The Under-18s return to action on Thursday when Aylsham visit Shoemakers Lane. The young Pedlars will be looking to remain top of the Thurlow Nunn Youth League North Division.
The Veterans are at home on Sunday to Cottage, with the squad settling and looking forward to the challenges ahead.