Swaffham Town score four in FA Vase tie - but still bow out
- Credit: Archant
Swaffham Town failed to build on a two-goal lead as they bowed out the FA Vase in extra-time after a thrilling tie at Shoemakers Lane.
Ryan Pearson gave the Pedlars the lead in the ninth minute, heading home from eight yards from an Alex Vincent corner.
Vistors Rushden and Higham from the ChromaSports United Counties LeaGue equalised from a similar set-piece nine minutes later but the home side were on ahead again in the 34th minute, Vincent converting a loose ball in the box.
He claimed his second five minutes later after being played through, rounding the keeper and slotting home from an acute angle. The visitors made it 3-2 two minutes before half-time from another set-piece and that's the way it stayed until the 81st minute.
Then another headed goal from the visitors took the game into extra time - and the excitement continued unabated.
You may also want to watch:
Rushden took the initiative for the first time in the match five minutes into added time and then got another seven minutes later to make it 5-3.
Pearson scored his second of the day four minutes into the second period but the Pedlars were unable to get another goal to take the game to a replay.
- 1 National Living Wage workers to receive pay rise next year
- 2 Delays on A47 due to collapsed manhole cover
- 3 Norfolk carer named one of best in the country
- 4 Natalie Imbruglia announced for major new festival at Norfolk estate
- 5 Town to introduce ice skating at annual Christmas light switch-on
- 6 Farm park wins accolade for helping 'amazing' rare animals
- 7 Soil testing firm to create 45 new jobs in Norfolk
- 8 Opinion: Uncomfortable home truths about being retirement ready
- 9 BMW stolen from driveway in small Norfolk village
- 10 Man pulled teen from car and held knife to his throat in attack
The match was sponsored by I Got Rhythm Systems Ltd, Club chairman Ian Sherwood presented Gary Vincent with a plaque to remember the occasion.
The Pedlars were set to return to Thurlow Nunn League Division One action at home to Norwich United Under-23s on Tuesday and hit the road on Saturday to take on Cornard.
There was a disappointing 2-1 defeat for the Reserves away to South Walsham in the Anglian Combination, the Pedlars' goal coming by the way of an opponent. On Saturday they are at home, with another A1065 derby against Fakenham Town Reserves.
There was an exit from the FA Youth Cup for the Under-18s. March Town United went 2-0 up in the first nine minutes and scored again two minutes into the second half.
A glimmer of hope for Swaffham came in the 69th minute when Jack Prentice clawed one back but the Hares made the final score 4-1 two minutes into added time.
On Thursday evening the Swaffham youngsters entertain Sheringham with a view to maintaining their league unbeaten record and staying top (7.45pm).