Swaffham Town’s FA Cup comeback is thwarted by Thetford
- Credit: Eddie Deane
Local bragging rights went to Thetford after a comprehensive 4-2 win over an understrength Swaffham Town in the FA Cup at Shoemakers Lane.
It was a disappointing day for the Pedlars, suffering with injuries and player unavailability for the extra preliminary qualifying round clash.
Thetford had been thumped 8-0 at Godmanchester Rovers in the league in midweek but manager Mark Scott saw a positive reaction to that humbling.
Swaffham started like rabbits in the headlights and Olly Standley's brace, a debut goal for Shaun Hunsdon and a Bruno Tavares stunner put the Brecklanders 4-0 up at half-time.
Hope was provided for Paul Hunt's side in the 52nd minute however, when Alex Vincent was brought down for a penalty, although the Thetford goalkeeper was lucky just to see yellow. Vincent converted the penalty low and hard to the right corner to make the score 4-1.
You may also want to watch:
There was then a further goal from the striker in the 64th minute, sparking the possibility of a comeback but that was dowsed with 20 minutes to go when what appeared to be another blatant penalty call for shirt pulling was ignored by the referee.
After another couple of chances, dashed by the post and saved by the keeper, Swaffham had to admit defeat and wish Thetford luck for their preliminary qualifying round clash with Bury Town in the next round.
- 1 One of Norfolk's most expensive homes for sale for £3.5million
- 2 Street light debate councillor says education would stop fear of dark
- 3 Norfolk has no Covid patients in critical care for first time in six months
- 4 Norfolk County Council elections 2021: Who is standing in Breckland?
- 5 Norfolk attractions enjoy 'amazing' Saturday as visitors flood back
- 6 'Thank you for everything' - How Norfolk marked Duke of Edinburgh's funeral
- 7 Covid vaccine rollout shifts dramatically in favour of second doses
- 8 Rapid coronavirus testing site set for launch in Thetford
- 9 On the buses: Mobile Covid vaccination service is launched
- 10 People without Covid symptoms urged to use new walk-in test site
On Saturday the Pedlars travel to Whitton United in a return to Thurlow Nunn Premier Division action
Swaffham Reserves started their Division Three campaign in the Almary Green Anglian Combination with a heavy 10-1 defeat at Redgrave Rangers. They will look to bounce back against Watton United tonight (7.30pm) and are then away to Loddon United Reserves on Saturday.