Swaffham Town’s FA Cup comeback is thwarted by Thetford
- Credit: Eddie Deane
Local bragging rights went to Thetford after a comprehensive 4-2 win over an understrength Swaffham Town in the FA Cup at Shoemakers Lane.
It was a disappointing day for the Pedlars, suffering with injuries and player unavailability for the extra preliminary qualifying round clash.
Thetford had been thumped 8-0 at Godmanchester Rovers in the league in midweek but manager Mark Scott saw a positive reaction to that humbling.
Swaffham started like rabbits in the headlights and Olly Standley's brace, a debut goal for Shaun Hunsdon and a Bruno Tavares stunner put the Brecklanders 4-0 up at half-time.
Hope was provided for Paul Hunt's side in the 52nd minute however, when Alex Vincent was brought down for a penalty, although the Thetford goalkeeper was lucky just to see yellow. Vincent converted the penalty low and hard to the right corner to make the score 4-1.
You may also want to watch:
There was then a further goal from the striker in the 64th minute, sparking the possibility of a comeback but that was dowsed with 20 minutes to go when what appeared to be another blatant penalty call for shirt pulling was ignored by the referee.
After another couple of chances, dashed by the post and saved by the keeper, Swaffham had to admit defeat and wish Thetford luck for their preliminary qualifying round clash with Bury Town in the next round.
- 1 People 'driving across the county' to new Indian street food van
- 2 1,000-year-old church to hold fundraising concerts
- 3 Perfect tonic? Cottage which was Victorian apothecary for sale
- 4 New Covid variants may require jabs for children, UEA experts warn
- 5 'We will get it back' - Care home told to improve but boss stays positive
- 6 Norfolk Day's Big Clean Up best kept community announced
- 7 Heavy rain and thunder set to continue with weather warnings in place
- 8 Once-extinct rare frog returns to its Norfolk home
- 9 Met office issue weather warnings for thunderstorms in parts of Norfolk
- 10 'Vindicated at last' - Pension compensation on the horizon for WASPI women
On Saturday the Pedlars travel to Whitton United in a return to Thurlow Nunn Premier Division action
Swaffham Reserves started their Division Three campaign in the Almary Green Anglian Combination with a heavy 10-1 defeat at Redgrave Rangers. They will look to bounce back against Watton United tonight (7.30pm) and are then away to Loddon United Reserves on Saturday.