Swaffham Town’s FA Cup comeback is thwarted by Thetford
- Credit: Eddie Deane
Local bragging rights went to Thetford after a comprehensive 4-2 win over an understrength Swaffham Town in the FA Cup at Shoemakers Lane.
It was a disappointing day for the Pedlars, suffering with injuries and player unavailability for the extra preliminary qualifying round clash.
Thetford had been thumped 8-0 at Godmanchester Rovers in the league in midweek but manager Mark Scott saw a positive reaction to that humbling.
Swaffham started like rabbits in the headlights and Olly Standley's brace, a debut goal for Shaun Hunsdon and a Bruno Tavares stunner put the Brecklanders 4-0 up at half-time.
Hope was provided for Paul Hunt's side in the 52nd minute however, when Alex Vincent was brought down for a penalty, although the Thetford goalkeeper was lucky just to see yellow. Vincent converted the penalty low and hard to the right corner to make the score 4-1.
You may also want to watch:
There was then a further goal from the striker in the 64th minute, sparking the possibility of a comeback but that was dowsed with 20 minutes to go when what appeared to be another blatant penalty call for shirt pulling was ignored by the referee.
After another couple of chances, dashed by the post and saved by the keeper, Swaffham had to admit defeat and wish Thetford luck for their preliminary qualifying round clash with Bury Town in the next round.
- 1 'Disgusting' - councillor slams culprits for defecating on footpaths and in front gardens
- 2 Schools in Norfolk closed or partially shut due to coronavirus
- 3 How Norfolk and Waveney MPs voted in coronavirus tiers vote
- 4 Dozens of new Covid marshals to become 'the eyes and ears of the districts'
- 5 Foodbank storage space "at breaking point" as need rises by 50%
- 6 What was ‘strange stretched circle’ spotted over Norfolk skies?
- 7 Town’s Christmas market cancelled as ‘too close to lockdown’
- 8 'Raring to go' - Businesses ready to reopen in time for Christmas rush
- 9 Why have Norfolk and Suffolk been placed in Tier 2?
- 10 Norfolk coronavirus infection rates fall further
On Saturday the Pedlars travel to Whitton United in a return to Thurlow Nunn Premier Division action
Swaffham Reserves started their Division Three campaign in the Almary Green Anglian Combination with a heavy 10-1 defeat at Redgrave Rangers. They will look to bounce back against Watton United tonight (7.30pm) and are then away to Loddon United Reserves on Saturday.