Swaffham Town’s FA Cup comeback is thwarted by Thetford
- Credit: Eddie Deane
Local bragging rights went to Thetford after a comprehensive 4-2 win over an understrength Swaffham Town in the FA Cup at Shoemakers Lane.
It was a disappointing day for the Pedlars, suffering with injuries and player unavailability for the extra preliminary qualifying round clash.
Thetford had been thumped 8-0 at Godmanchester Rovers in the league in midweek but manager Mark Scott saw a positive reaction to that humbling.
Swaffham started like rabbits in the headlights and Olly Standley's brace, a debut goal for Shaun Hunsdon and a Bruno Tavares stunner put the Brecklanders 4-0 up at half-time.
Hope was provided for Paul Hunt's side in the 52nd minute however, when Alex Vincent was brought down for a penalty, although the Thetford goalkeeper was lucky just to see yellow. Vincent converted the penalty low and hard to the right corner to make the score 4-1.
You may also want to watch:
There was then a further goal from the striker in the 64th minute, sparking the possibility of a comeback but that was dowsed with 20 minutes to go when what appeared to be another blatant penalty call for shirt pulling was ignored by the referee.
After another couple of chances, dashed by the post and saved by the keeper, Swaffham had to admit defeat and wish Thetford luck for their preliminary qualifying round clash with Bury Town in the next round.
- 1 'Don't mix, shop online' - People urged to go beyond lockdown rules
- 2 Norfolk's first mass Covid vaccination centre to open in food court
- 3 Drivers face non-essential travel fines after spate of snow crashes
- 4 Covid case rates continue to fall across Norfolk and Waveney
- 5 Risk of flooding after parts of Norfolk see 8cm of snow
- 6 Man charged with drink-driving on the A11
- 7 Norfolk wakes up to snow with more expected to fall
- 8 In pictures: Children make the most of weekend snow
- 9 'I will not resign,' says councillor who broke Covid isolation
- 10 Broadband firm pledges 'Herculean effort' in hyperfast roll-out
On Saturday the Pedlars travel to Whitton United in a return to Thurlow Nunn Premier Division action
Swaffham Reserves started their Division Three campaign in the Almary Green Anglian Combination with a heavy 10-1 defeat at Redgrave Rangers. They will look to bounce back against Watton United tonight (7.30pm) and are then away to Loddon United Reserves on Saturday.