Swaffham Town make impressive progress in FA Cup
- Credit: Archant
Following a disappointing midweek defeat Swaffham Town picked themselves up to put on a fine display to earn a place in the first preliminary round of the Emirates FA Cup.
The Pedlars beat visitors Rothwell Corinthians 3-1, with the goals coming from Joe Jackson (2) and Blake Stangroome.
The reward for an excellent win is a trip to Bedford Town, who play in Evo-Stik League South East, on Saturday, August 19.
Saturday's match was preceded by a minute's silence in memory of club stalwart Trevor Head, who sadly passed away recently.
A mixture of rain and sun made the playing surface tricky but both teams settled quickly, Swaffham having the majority of play. It took until two minutes before half-time for the deadlock to be broken, Jackson firing a low cross from the right wing and Stangroome thumping home from 12 yards.
The Pedlars made it two eight minutes into the second half. Alex Vincent's corner from the left hand side was met first time on the volley by Jackson and the powerful low shot finding the bottom left hand corner of the net.
Callum Robinson was substituted with an injury following a poor tackle in the 65th minute, Tom Kendrick coming on as his replacement. Matthew Blackford was then handed his FA Cup debut with seven minutes to go, Stangroome being replaced after giving his all.
- 1 Explained: What the cost of living support package means for you
- 2 Where you can see the Red Arrows over Norfolk this weekend
- 3 By George! Woman digs up coin 'from reign of George I'
- 4 OPINION: The price of happiness and contentment
- 5 Serious road crash hotspots in Norfolk revealed as fatalities fall
- 6 GP allowed non-clinical staff to change medications, inspection shows
- 7 Every household in the UK to get £400 to help with rising energy bills
- 8 Norfolk Tory MP calls for 'serious changes' following Sue Gray report
- 9 Opinion: Creativity is required as prices rise
- 10 A47 reopens after man seriously injured in crash following police chase
The Pedlars took the game away from Rothwell's reach in the 89th minute, David Weaver-Pope's crossfrom the right hand wing being sweetly met by Jackson seven yards out. The visitors grabbed a consolation goal four minutes into added time.
Swaffham lost 3-2 at Wisbech St Mary in midweek in their second Thurlow Nunn Division One fixture of the season, with Alex Vincent getting both of the goals.
The Pedlars are not in action now until next Tuesday evening when they host King's Lynn Town Reserves.
Sam Carter got both goals in the Reserves' 2-1 friendly win against Attleborough Reserves. They have to also wait until Tuesday to start their season's campaign, away to Hingham Athletic.
The Under-18s had a good run out against Downham Town with an impressive 5-1 win. They start their season this Thursday with a home game against Fakenham Town (7.45pm).