Swaffham Town hold leaders Whitton United to finish season strongly

Alex Vincent was on the scoresheet for Swaffham Town. Picture: Eddie Deane

Alex Vincent was on the scoresheet for Swaffham Town. Picture: Eddie Deane - Credit: Archant

Swaffham Town completed their season with a respectable 2-2 draw away to Thurlow Nunn First Division champions Whitton United.

Swaffham were undefeated against the top three sides in the league this season but ended up in seventh place after a strong season.

Six wins and three draws from their last 11 matches of the season was not enough for the Pedlars to keep pace in the promotion chase, but they now have a solid base to build on for next season.

On Saturday Whitton took the lead in the 40th minute, with an opportunist strike leaving keeper Lee Brooks little chance.

Swaffham equalised on the hour when Alex Vincent left-footed volley finding the top-left corner from 20 yards. Vincent then also assisted with Swaffham's second, when his low driven free-kick was diverted goalwards by Mark Allibone.

The league champions were clearly rattled with just four minutes to go but, summing up the story of the Pedlars' season, a sloppy equaliser was allowed in added time to see Swaffham end the season with three draws.

On the home front, Swaffham Town A beat Gayton 3-0 in their semi-final clash of the Hospital Cup to book their place in this Saturday's final against Castle Acre Swifts.

Most Read

Kick-off will be at 3pm and the competition will be concluded on the day. Club secretary, Ray Ewart, said: 'Please make every effort to support the teams for this very worthy cause. A bucket collection will be made during the game and both bar and kitchen facilities will be open.

'Swaffham Town Football Club would like to thank The George Hotel, The Greyhound Inn and The Pedlars Hall Cafe for supporting the competition in the form of after match refreshments.

'Also thanks to Vic Petri and Colin Greenway for providing their refereeing expertise throughout this season's matches which has provided an opportunity for the local athletes to display their footballing talent and for some in the quarter-finals, their first time playing under floodlights.'