Swaffham Town claim excellent wins of the league’s top two
- Credit: Archant
Swaffham Town turned in a couple of excellent performances over high-flying opposition to consolidate fourth place in Division One of the Thurlow Nunn League.
They beat second placed Whitton United 3-2 at Shoemakers Lane in midweek and followed that up by winning 2-1 at Woodbridge to condemn the newly crowned champions to a first home defeat of the season.
A fast and furious game on Tuesday night saw the visitors taking the lead after 36 minutes. Town balanced the books five minutes later when Alex Vincent rounded the keeper to slot home in the bottom right hand corner of the net.
Whitton regained the lead two minutes into the second half and it took until the 70th minute for James Thompson to head home an equaliser from six yards. The Pedlars' winner came seven minutes from time, Joe Jackson setting up Vincent to convert from 18 yards.
On Saturday Woodbridge took the lead in the first minute, delighting the many home supporters who had turned out to celebrate their title success but Swaffham quickly hit back with Vincent scoring a screamer, lashing home into the top left hand corner.
You may also want to watch:
The visitors went on to turn in a great performance and substitute Jack Prentice provided the icing on the cake just after replacing Jackson in the 84th minute, knocking in Vincent's parried shot from close range.
In total five young Pedlars were representing the club at the end, with Cameron Lee and Tommy Hunt starting the game. Keeper Craig Powley had a sound game, making two important saves in the second half.
- 1 Met office issue weather warnings for thunderstorms in parts of Norfolk
- 2 Father and son rescued after being swept out to sea
- 3 'Slow down, save lives' - Police launch speed awareness campaign
- 4 'We will get it back' - Care home told to improve but boss stays positive
- 5 Pings and exemptions: What are the rules around self-isolation?
- 6 Pony hire business to offer circus shows in your garden
- 7 Norfolk Day's Big Clean Up best kept community announced
- 8 Crucial step taken towards new leisure centre for town
- 9 'Lost a couple of staff members a day' - how the 'pingdemic' is hitting Norfolk
- 10 Trains cancelled due to flooding - and more heavy rain expected
Swaffham are away to Leiston Reserves this Thursday before hosting Halstead Town in their final game on Saturday in a 'pay whatever you want' fixture.
The Reserves recorded an emphatuc 5-1 home win over Earsham (Danny Nichols, Blake Stangroome, Jamie Titmarsh, Kieran Bruce, Alfie Brindle). On Saturday they travel to Hemsby and they then play their final game Wednesday week away to Redgate Rangers.
The uoung Pedlars completed their season unbeaten in the Thurlow Nunn Youth League with an 8-0 victory at Aylsham. Jack Prentice scoring a hat-trick while Nathan Ward, Connor Germaney, Kieran Bruce, Nathan Trundle and Harvey Neale were the other contributors. The management team of Nathan Pack, Sam Loomes and Dave Robinson deserve great credit for the job they have done. The Veterans lost 2-1 to Mattishall Wanderers (Tony Chapman).