Swaffham Town brought back down to earth after excellent cup win
- Credit: Archant
Swaffham Town were unable to build on a good midweek cup win on Saturday as they went down 2-0 at Stanway Rovers in the top flight of the Thurlow Nunn League.
Playing against Wisbech St Mary in the League Challenge Cup, the Pedlars were good value for their 4-0 win at Shoemakers Lane.
The account was opened in the 14th minute, Ryan Pearson connecting to a fine delivery from a corner by Nick Castellan into the top right hand corner.
The second goal arrived just four minutes into the second half, Pearson with a great finish with the outside of his right foot, curling neatly to hit home.
The game was put to bed in the 61st minute, Matthew Gilchrist heading home at the near post from a corner kick. The icing on the cake came 10 minutes from time, Emre Upston proving the assist from the left hand wing and Sary Rahma meeting the ball on the penalty spot and sliding home with precision.
You may also want to watch:
The Pedlars will face Newmarket Town in the next round.
Saturday's encounter at the Hawthorns, home of Stanway Rovers, was a very different affair.
- 1 One of Norfolk's most expensive homes for sale for £3.5million
- 2 Street light debate councillor says education would stop fear of dark
- 3 Norfolk has no Covid patients in critical care for first time in six months
- 4 Norfolk County Council elections 2021: Who is standing in Breckland?
- 5 Norfolk attractions enjoy 'amazing' Saturday as visitors flood back
- 6 'Thank you for everything' - How Norfolk marked Duke of Edinburgh's funeral
- 7 Rapid coronavirus testing site set for launch in Thetford
- 8 On the buses: Mobile Covid vaccination service is launched
- 9 People without Covid symptoms urged to use new walk-in test site
- 10 Asda says redundancy 'last option' for bakery staff
The Pedlars conceded a strange goal from a corner in the fourth minute and found difficulty in breaking down the opposition. Pearson had a couple of headed chances but there was no real threat to the home goal.
The home side were awarded a penalty with 10 minutes to go and converted it to seal the win.
Swaffham had a week to regroup and allow injuries to heal before hosting Whitton United on Saturday.
The Reserves were unlucky at home to Holt United, a goal late on clinching a 2-1 win for the visitors. Luke Askew finding the back of the net for the Pedlars who are on the road to Buxton on Saturday.
There was no game last week for the U18s, Mulbarton Wanderers calling off due to a waterlogged pitch. This Thursday Sheringham come to the Lane.
Managerless Thetford Town also followed up a good win in the League Challenge Cup with another defeat in the league.
In their first match since the exit of Danny White Town won 4-1 at King's Lynn Reserves last Wednesday evening, with Robbie Priddle scoring twice and Max Melanson and Bradley Sandell also netting.
Town were then left counting the cost of a poor first half display as they lost 5-1 at home to Whitton on Saturday to remain bottom of the Premier Division.
Having gone in at the break 4-0 down, the Brecklanders rallied in the second half with Melanson getting on the scoresheet in the 71st minute.
Town visit fellow strugglers Walsham le Willows this evening (Wednesday) before travelling to league leaders Stowmarket Town on Saturday.