Youngsters progress - but it’s another defeat for Swaffham Town
- Credit: Archant
Swaffham Town's disappointing run continued on Saturday when they went down 3-0 at Long Melford.
After winning their opening two games following promotion to the top flight of the Thurlow Nunn League, the Pedlars have now taken just one point for a possible 12, while also making an early exit in both national cup competitions.
The Pedlars, still missing some of the squad through injury and family commitments, were helped by a fine performance from keeper Tommy Rix, who denied Melford in the 10th minute, diving to his right and diverting the ball onto the post.
There was little other goalmouth action at either end throughout the first half until, with seconds to go until the break, Melford opened their account to go into the half-time break with the advantage.
The Pedlars were playing the better looking football but lacking that final touch or pass to threaten. A further great stop from Rix in a one-on-one kept the second half interesting, with the visitors unable to test the keeper at the other end.
You may also want to watch:
Melford hit the net again in the 74th minute and finally got their third on the counter in added time.
On a positive for Swaffham there were some good performances from a young side and second half substitutions gave manager Paul Hunt the opportunity to blood two Under-18s for their first team debuts.
- 1 National Living Wage workers to receive pay rise next year
- 2 Delays on A47 due to collapsed manhole cover
- 3 Norfolk carer named one of best in the country
- 4 Natalie Imbruglia announced for major new festival at Norfolk estate
- 5 Town to introduce ice skating at annual Christmas light switch-on
- 6 Farm park wins accolade for helping 'amazing' rare animals
- 7 Soil testing firm to create 45 new jobs in Norfolk
- 8 Opinion: Uncomfortable home truths about being retirement ready
- 9 BMW stolen from driveway in small Norfolk village
- 10 Man pulled teen from car and held knife to his throat in attack
Swaffham were due to tevel to Wroxham on Tuesday evening for their latest Thurlow Nunn Premier Division encounter while Gorleston visit Shoemakers Lane on Saturday.
There was better fortune for Swaffham Reserves in the first round of the Cyril Ballyn Cup with a 3-1 victory away to Long Stratton Reserves, goals from Kieran Bruce, Callum McDermid and Sary Rahma progressing the Pedlars to the next round.
There is further cup action at the weekend for the Reserves, this time in the Norfolk Junior Cup first round. Swaffham are away to East Harling Reserves.
There was a well-matched game last Monday with the Under-18s away to Cambridge City in the FA Youth Cup. In a fantastic game for the neutral Cambridge bagged the only goal of the match in the 62nd minute.
This week the young Pedlars travel to Aldiss Park for a local derby, with the visit to Dereham usually providing great entertainment.