Swaffham Town bow out of FA Cup - but it’s been a great start in league
- Credit: Archant
It has been a mixed week for Swaffham Town with a great win in the league at neighbours Thetford Town being followed by an exit at the first hurdle in the FA Cup.
Two goals from an in-form Ryan Pearson put the Pedlars on the front foot at Mundford Road last Tuesday evening in front of a crowd of 115.
The first came on the stroke of half-time when Alex Vincent's cross was blocked but not cleared and Pearson dispatched with ease from close range.
The second was a magical finish in the 56th minute. Tommy Rix's long kick was headed on by Ben Coe and Pearson controlled and lobbed the keeper from 16 yards.
Thetford reduced the arrears two minutes later when recently introduced substitute Michael Campbell fired home after a quick home break - but the Pedlars' defence held firm to take all three points as it finished 2-1.
You may also want to watch:
It continued a perfect start in the Premier Division of the Thurlow Nunn League, with Swaffham having beaten Godmanchester Rovers 2-1 in their first game since promotion.
On Saturday Swaffham travelled to Biggleswade United in the extra preliminary round of the FA Cup and suffered a 1-0 defeat.
- 1 Who can get a Covid booster jab and how can I book one?
- 2 Could we face coronavirus restrictions over Christmas?
- 3 Night out safety advice issued after drink-spiking reports in Norfolk
- 4 What is the government's Plan B for Covid this winter?
- 5 Town to introduce ice skating at annual Christmas light switch-on
- 6 Delays on A47 due to collapsed manhole cover
- 7 Norfolk carer named one of best in the country
- 8 Farm park wins accolade for helping 'amazing' rare animals
- 9 Met Office issues warning for thunderstorms in Norfolk
- 10 People urged to share their views on the future of Breckland towns
With the high winds a spoiler for both sides, the Pedlars played the better football but lost out to a 78th minute goal which came when Lorrell Smith broke down the left before firing into the bottom corner.
Dean Miller hit the woodwork with a late header as Swaffham searched in vain for a equaliser against a side side whose chairman is respected Spanish football broadcaster Guillem Balague.
Swaffham have a tough fixture on Saturday against Woodbridge Town, who finished second in the league last season. They are also sitting second this time around after winning their opening two league matches while the Pedlars are a respectable fifth.
The Reserves opened their Hadley and Ottaway Anglian Combination Division Two on Tuesday evening away to Hingham and travel to Buxton on Saturday.
A promising pre-season for the Under-18s continued away to Ely City, Thomas Wagg scoring the only goal. On Thursday the youngsterrs host Lakenheath in their last preparation game before starting their season.