Swaffham Town bow out of FA Cup - but it’s been a great start in league
- Credit: Archant
It has been a mixed week for Swaffham Town with a great win in the league at neighbours Thetford Town being followed by an exit at the first hurdle in the FA Cup.
Two goals from an in-form Ryan Pearson put the Pedlars on the front foot at Mundford Road last Tuesday evening in front of a crowd of 115.
The first came on the stroke of half-time when Alex Vincent's cross was blocked but not cleared and Pearson dispatched with ease from close range.
The second was a magical finish in the 56th minute. Tommy Rix's long kick was headed on by Ben Coe and Pearson controlled and lobbed the keeper from 16 yards.
Thetford reduced the arrears two minutes later when recently introduced substitute Michael Campbell fired home after a quick home break - but the Pedlars' defence held firm to take all three points as it finished 2-1.
You may also want to watch:
It continued a perfect start in the Premier Division of the Thurlow Nunn League, with Swaffham having beaten Godmanchester Rovers 2-1 in their first game since promotion.
On Saturday Swaffham travelled to Biggleswade United in the extra preliminary round of the FA Cup and suffered a 1-0 defeat.
- 1 One of Norfolk's most expensive homes for sale for £3.5million
- 2 Street light debate councillor says education would stop fear of dark
- 3 Norfolk has no Covid patients in critical care for first time in six months
- 4 Norfolk County Council elections 2021: Who is standing in Breckland?
- 5 Norfolk attractions enjoy 'amazing' Saturday as visitors flood back
- 6 'Thank you for everything' - How Norfolk marked Duke of Edinburgh's funeral
- 7 Covid vaccine rollout shifts dramatically in favour of second doses
- 8 Rapid coronavirus testing site set for launch in Thetford
- 9 On the buses: Mobile Covid vaccination service is launched
- 10 People without Covid symptoms urged to use new walk-in test site
With the high winds a spoiler for both sides, the Pedlars played the better football but lost out to a 78th minute goal which came when Lorrell Smith broke down the left before firing into the bottom corner.
Dean Miller hit the woodwork with a late header as Swaffham searched in vain for a equaliser against a side side whose chairman is respected Spanish football broadcaster Guillem Balague.
Swaffham have a tough fixture on Saturday against Woodbridge Town, who finished second in the league last season. They are also sitting second this time around after winning their opening two league matches while the Pedlars are a respectable fifth.
The Reserves opened their Hadley and Ottaway Anglian Combination Division Two on Tuesday evening away to Hingham and travel to Buxton on Saturday.
A promising pre-season for the Under-18s continued away to Ely City, Thomas Wagg scoring the only goal. On Thursday the youngsterrs host Lakenheath in their last preparation game before starting their season.