Swaffham Town need one more win to clinch league title
- Credit: Archant
Swaffham Town are one win away from clinching the Thurlow Nunn League Division One North title after recording an excellent 2-0 victory at third-placed Mulbarton Wanderers on Easter Monday.
In front of a bumper crowd of 240 at Mulberry Park the Pedlars got their noses in front in the first half when Tommy Hunt netted from a corner.
After the break keeper Tommy Rix saved a Mulbarton penalty and the visitors went on to stretch their advantage as Ryan Pearson converted a Matt Prudence free-kick.
Leaders Harleston completed their programme by winning 5-2 at Cornard (Sam Borrer, Nathan Stone, Lawrence Cheese, Nicky Howell and Jake Imrie) but the Pedlars still have one game to play, at bottom side Felixstowe & Walton Reserves on Saturday, and will be champions if they win it.
Anything less than three points and Harleston will finish top.
You may also want to watch:
The club are hoping to take a bus to Felixstowe and anyone interested should contact 077241 96162.
On Saturday a bumper crowd at Shoemakers Lane saw the Pedlars round off their home programme by beating Ipswich Wanderers 2-1 to complete a swift double.
- 1 'We will get it back' - Care home told to improve but boss stays positive
- 2 Trains cancelled due to flooding - and more heavy rain expected
- 3 Risk of flooding in parts of region as storms slowly move in
- 4 Crucial step taken towards new leisure centre for town
- 5 Public hearing for long-delayed A47 dualling plans
- 6 'Cold and desolate' - Anne Robinson's Countdown jibe at Norfolk
- 7 Pretty 17th century cottage linked to Lord Nelson for sale
- 8 Delays to thousands of bin collections across Breckland
- 9 Thunderstorms and heavy rain warning for Norfolk
- 10 7 places to avoid the crowds in Norfolk this summer
It was not the best display of the season from Swaffham but they still came away with all three points to keep the pressure Harleston, won beat March Town 5-1.
The deadlock was broken in the 15th minute when a free-kick awarded just outside the left hand corner of the box saw captain Joe Jackson firing low across goal into the right hand corner of the net.
The Pedlars started to settle but Wanderers levelled in the 28th minute from a quick break as keeper Tommy Rix was beaten by a clinical lob.
The second half saw all of the play Swaffham's way and following a foul in the box on Jackson in the 69th minute, Ryan Pearson smashed home from the spot to make it 2-1.
The Reserves complete their league competition this evening (Wednesday) away to champions Heacham (6.30pm). It has been a great season for the Pedlars Reserves under the management of Chris Carter and irrespective of the result they will finish in a very respectable third place.
In Division One of the Anglian Combination Mundford confirmed second spot by beating Hindringham 3-0 (Jordan Baker, Nathan Thurogood, Ian Fancett).