Swaffham Town edge home at Walks to stay in Thurlow Nunn League Division One North title hunt
- Credit: Archant
Swaffham Town reeled off a fifth straight win on Friday evening to stay right in the thick of the Thurlow Nunn League Division One North title race.
They beat King's Lynn Town Reserves 2-0 in a hard-fought derby match at The Walks to keep the pressure firmly on Harleston Town.
The leaders restored their eight point advantage at the top the following day when they beat Diss Town 1-0, while Mulbarton Wanderers moved back up to second with a 5-1 victory at Felixstowe and Walton Reserves.
But the third placed Pedlars have games in hand on both teams and will be champions if they carry on winning this season.
They brought the Linnets' unbeaten run to an end thanks to two late goals. A fast and furious start to the game saw both sides having the opportunity to take the lead but good goalkeeping at both ends kept the scoreline balanced. Lynn were reduced to 10 men in the 25th minute when Taylor saw red for foul and abusive language towards the referee.
You may also want to watch:
The deadlock was finally broken in the 80th minute. Sam Carter took a corner from the right hand side and Ryan Pearson met it with his head and found the top right corner of the net.
With five minutes to go, Pearson laid off a short free-kick to release Joe Jackson. He dribbled to the byline and drilled in a low cross into the area which was deflected in by a defender.
- 1 'Don't mix, shop online' - People urged to go beyond lockdown rules
- 2 Norfolk's first mass Covid vaccination centre to open in food court
- 3 Drivers face non-essential travel fines after spate of snow crashes
- 4 Covid case rates continue to fall across Norfolk and Waveney
- 5 Man charged with drink-driving on the A11
- 6 Risk of flooding after parts of Norfolk see 8cm of snow
- 7 Norfolk wakes up to snow with more expected to fall
- 8 In pictures: Children make the most of weekend snow
- 9 'I will not resign,' says councillor who broke Covid isolation
- 10 Broadband firm pledges 'Herculean effort' in hyperfast roll-out
On Saturday Swaffhan travel to Humber Doucy Lane for the first game of a double header against Ipswich Wanderers.
Their remaining fixtures after that are Ipswich Wanderers at home (April 20), Mulbarton Wanderers away (April 22) and Felixstowe and Walton Reserves on April 27.
The Reserves picked up a point away to Earsham in a 2-2 draw. A goal from Sary Rahma and a Kieran Bruce penalty added to their positive season and they must now wait until Wednesday, April 24 to play their final Anglian Combination Division Three fixture away to likely champions Heacham.
In midweek the Under-18s, at home to CSF Canaries, also shared the points inh a 2-2 draw. Both the Pedlars' goals came from Connor Germaney, the second from the penalty spot. They play their last league game next Wednesday evening, away to FDL Rangers who play at Trafford Park, Wroxham.
The Veterans are at home to Erpingham United in the group stage of the League Cup on Sunday.