Swaffham Town in a position to go top after beating Leiston Reserves 3-0
- Credit: Archant
Swaffham Town beat Leiston Reserves 3-0 at Shoemakers Lane on Saturday to make up more ground in the Thurlow Nunn League Division One North title race.
With leaders Harleston Town being held to 1-1 draw at Downham and second placed Mulbarton having a weekend off, the Pedlars are now in a position to go top by winning their games in hand.
They are eight behind Harleston and four behind Mulbarton, have played three fewer fixtures than both the teams above them.
The wind gave neither side an advantage on Saturday and threatened to be a spoiler as the game progressed. The Pedlars had the majority of possession and opportunities in the first half but were unable to convert.
The opener came in the 56th minute when new signing Ben Coe was tripped in the box and Ryan Pearson fired home the penalty, blasting the ball into the left hand side of the net.
You may also want to watch:
Pearson made it two in the 64th minute after Tommy Hunt had played him through, with the finish from 16 yards leaving the keeper with no chance.
Pearson becoming goal maker a minute later, crossing from the left hand touch line for Thomas Wagg to loop a header over the keeper for the Pedlars' third.
- 1 One of Norfolk's most expensive homes for sale for £3.5million
- 2 Street light debate councillor says education would stop fear of dark
- 3 Norfolk has no Covid patients in critical care for first time in six months
- 4 Norfolk County Council elections 2021: Who is standing in Breckland?
- 5 Norfolk attractions enjoy 'amazing' Saturday as visitors flood back
- 6 'Thank you for everything' - How Norfolk marked Duke of Edinburgh's funeral
- 7 Covid vaccine rollout shifts dramatically in favour of second doses
- 8 Rapid coronavirus testing site set for launch in Thetford
- 9 On the buses: Mobile Covid vaccination service is launched
- 10 People without Covid symptoms urged to use new walk-in test site
On Saturday Swaffham travel to Needham Market Reserves looking to maintain their promotion challenge.
After a weekend off the Reserves get back to Anglian Combination Division Three action on Saturday, with Beccles Caxton visiting Shoemakers Lane. The Under-18s host Dereham Town on Thursday evening and on Sunday the veterans are at home to Micawbers.