Swaffham Town in a position to go top after beating Leiston Reserves 3-0
- Credit: Archant
Swaffham Town beat Leiston Reserves 3-0 at Shoemakers Lane on Saturday to make up more ground in the Thurlow Nunn League Division One North title race.
With leaders Harleston Town being held to 1-1 draw at Downham and second placed Mulbarton having a weekend off, the Pedlars are now in a position to go top by winning their games in hand.
They are eight behind Harleston and four behind Mulbarton, have played three fewer fixtures than both the teams above them.
The wind gave neither side an advantage on Saturday and threatened to be a spoiler as the game progressed. The Pedlars had the majority of possession and opportunities in the first half but were unable to convert.
The opener came in the 56th minute when new signing Ben Coe was tripped in the box and Ryan Pearson fired home the penalty, blasting the ball into the left hand side of the net.
You may also want to watch:
Pearson made it two in the 64th minute after Tommy Hunt had played him through, with the finish from 16 yards leaving the keeper with no chance.
Pearson becoming goal maker a minute later, crossing from the left hand touch line for Thomas Wagg to loop a header over the keeper for the Pedlars' third.
- 1 Could we face coronavirus restrictions over Christmas?
- 2 Who can get a Covid booster jab and how can I book one?
- 3 What is the government's Plan B for Covid this winter?
- 4 Night out safety advice issued after drink-spiking reports in Norfolk
- 5 Town to introduce ice skating at annual Christmas light switch-on
- 6 Game of Thrones and The Crown actor to star in Norfolk play
- 7 Delays on A47 due to collapsed manhole cover
- 8 Police chief urges people to be sensible this Halloween
- 9 Norfolk carer named one of best in the country
- 10 Farm park wins accolade for helping 'amazing' rare animals
On Saturday Swaffham travel to Needham Market Reserves looking to maintain their promotion challenge.
After a weekend off the Reserves get back to Anglian Combination Division Three action on Saturday, with Beccles Caxton visiting Shoemakers Lane. The Under-18s host Dereham Town on Thursday evening and on Sunday the veterans are at home to Micawbers.