Swaffham Town in a position to go top after beating Leiston Reserves 3-0
- Credit: Archant
Swaffham Town beat Leiston Reserves 3-0 at Shoemakers Lane on Saturday to make up more ground in the Thurlow Nunn League Division One North title race.
With leaders Harleston Town being held to 1-1 draw at Downham and second placed Mulbarton having a weekend off, the Pedlars are now in a position to go top by winning their games in hand.
They are eight behind Harleston and four behind Mulbarton, have played three fewer fixtures than both the teams above them.
The wind gave neither side an advantage on Saturday and threatened to be a spoiler as the game progressed. The Pedlars had the majority of possession and opportunities in the first half but were unable to convert.
The opener came in the 56th minute when new signing Ben Coe was tripped in the box and Ryan Pearson fired home the penalty, blasting the ball into the left hand side of the net.
You may also want to watch:
Pearson made it two in the 64th minute after Tommy Hunt had played him through, with the finish from 16 yards leaving the keeper with no chance.
Pearson becoming goal maker a minute later, crossing from the left hand touch line for Thomas Wagg to loop a header over the keeper for the Pedlars' third.
- 1 Heavy rain and thunder set to continue with weather warnings in place
- 2 Norfolk Day's Big Clean Up best kept community announced
- 3 Once-extinct rare frog returns to its Norfolk home
- 4 New Covid variants may require jabs for children, UEA experts warn
- 5 'We will get it back' - Care home told to improve but boss stays positive
- 6 'Vindicated at last' - Pension compensation on the horizon for WASPI women
- 7 People 'driving across the county' to new Indian street food van
- 8 Crucial step taken towards new leisure centre for town
- 9 Met office issue weather warnings for thunderstorms in parts of Norfolk
- 10 Father and son rescued after being swept out to sea
On Saturday Swaffham travel to Needham Market Reserves looking to maintain their promotion challenge.
After a weekend off the Reserves get back to Anglian Combination Division Three action on Saturday, with Beccles Caxton visiting Shoemakers Lane. The Under-18s host Dereham Town on Thursday evening and on Sunday the veterans are at home to Micawbers.