Swaffham Town win 4-1 at Needham Market Reserves to boost promotion bid
- Credit: Archant
Swaffham Town ensured their promotion challenge wasn't blown off course on Saturday as they picked up an emphatic win on the road.
With the strong, gusty wind causing difficulties for both sides the Pedlars recovered from a poor start to pick up all three points to close the gap on second placed Mulbarton Wanderers to a single point, with the Pedlars having two games in hand.
Swaffham went behind at Needham in the ninth minute but the balance was restored just six minutes later, Sam Carter following up his deflected shot which rebounded off the crossbar, controlling with his chest and firing home from seven yards.
The Pedlars finally took control and the lead in the 62nd minute when they had the advantage of the wind, Luke Reed heading home a Nick Castellan corner from the penalty spot into the top right corner.
Ryan Pearson made it three in the 69th minute when he was played through and fired into the right hand bottom corner from 16 yards. The game was put to bed in the 76th minute, Matthew Gilchrist getting the slightest of touches at he near post from another Castellan corner.
You may also want to watch:
The Pedlars reclaimed third position as a result have a tough fixture on Saturday when fifth placed March Town United visit Shoemakers Lane.
Rain caused the postponement of last Tuesday's scheduled First Division Knock-out Cup semi-final against Holland at Shoemakers Lane with the re-arranged game due to have taken place last night.
- 1 'Lost a couple of staff members a day' - how the 'pingdemic' is hitting Norfolk
- 2 'We will get it back' - Care home told to improve but boss stays positive
- 3 Met office issue weather warnings for thunderstorms in parts of Norfolk
- 4 Father and son rescued after being swept out to sea
- 5 'Slow down, save lives' - Police launch speed awareness campaign
- 6 Pings and exemptions: What are the rules around self-isolation?
- 7 Trains cancelled due to flooding - and more heavy rain expected
- 8 Pony hire business to offer circus shows in your garden
- 9 Crucial step taken towards new leisure centre for town
- 10 Public hearing for long-delayed A47 dualling plans
Back in Swaffham, the Reserves were unable to show their best against top side Beccles Caxton in Anglian Combination Division Three, going down by two goals to one. Kieran Bruce was on target for the Pedlars who now have to wait until April for their next fixture.
Last Thursday the Under-18s were over-whelmed by a strong Dereham Town side, the final score being 5-1, Connor Germaney scored the Swaffham consolation goal. This Thursday the Young Pedlars are away to North Walsham Town.
The game of the day in Division One of the Anglian Combination saw leaders Mundford draw 1-1 with UEA, who are fourth with plenty of games in hand.
Alex McIntosh scored for the hosts and Henry Clark for the visitors. Aylsham moved up to second by winning 2-0 at East Harling (Jamie George, Stuart Boam).
Thetford Rovers and Watton drew 1-1 at Euston park, with James Dean on target for the hosts.
On Saturday Mundford host Reepham, Rovers travel to Attleborough Town and Watton are without a game.