Substitute Carter strikes late to earn Swaffham Town an important win
- Credit: Archant
Swaffham Town recorded a hard-fought 2-1 win at Debenham LC on Saturday to stay in the thick of the promotion battle in Division One North of the Thurlow Nunn League.
A late goal from substitute Sam Carter secured all three points and with Mulbarton Wanderers losing 3-1 at Diss the Pedlars are now just four points off second spot with three games in hand.
On a day when a strong wind made it difficult for both sides the game got off to a scrappy start although the Pedlars were fortunate when the hosts smashed an early opportunity over the bar from 10 yards.
Midway through the half there was a further scare when Debenham had a goal disallowed, keeper Rix being fouled while having two hands on the ball.
Swaffham broke the deadlock in the 28th minute, David Weaver-Pope crossing from the right hand wing and Kyle Plumb thumping home into the right hand corner at the front post. Debenham drew level on the stroke of half-time after being awarded a penalty that looked extremely harsh on the visitors.
Despite having the wind advantage in the second half Swaffham had few chances until the 88th minute when Joe Jackson's cross from the right wing was met by the head of substitute Carter who found the left hand corner of the net. It was his first goal for the first team and couldn't have come at a more important time.
Debenham went down to 10 men shortly afterwards, substitute Matt Poxon seeing red after a poor tackle on captain Alex Vincent was followed by foul language.
- 1 Pair admit racial attack in Chinese restaurant
- 2 Serious road crash hotspots in Norfolk revealed as fatalities fall
- 3 Explained: What the cost of living support package means for you
- 4 Where you can see the Red Arrows over Norfolk this weekend
- 5 Education bursary worth £1,000 launched to mark Queen's Jubilee
- 6 By George! Woman digs up coin 'from reign of George I'
- 7 GP allowed non-clinical staff to change medications, inspection shows
- 8 OPINION: The price of happiness and contentment
- 9 Lane of A47 remains shut after serious crash yesterday afternoon
- 10 A47 closed for several hours following crash in west Norfolk
Swaffham host Cornard United in the league on Saturday.
The Reserves continue their good form with an 8-1 victory at home to Long Stratton Reserves with the goals coming from Callum South, Aidan Sewell and braces from Cameron Lee, Kieran Bruce and Liam Forshaw. On Saturday they continue their campaign away to South Walsham.
The Under-18s recorded a 3-2 victory at home to FDL Rangers in midweek, Connor Germaney scoring twice and Nico Pates also on target. The Young Pedlars are now sitting in a respectable third place in the Thurlow Nunn Youth League North Division. This Wednesday evening the travel to Sheringham.
In the Thurlow Nunn League Premier Division Thetford Town's scheduled trip to high-flying Godmanchester Rovers on Friday evening was postponed because of a waterlogged pitch.
Danny White's side are due to welcome leaders Histon to Mundford Road this Friday evening (7.45pm).