Swaffham Town 4 Norwich CBS 0: Pedlars turn on the style in first half
- Credit: Archant
Swaffham Town recorded an excellent 4-0 win over Norwich CBS at Shoemakers Lane on Saturday to keep the pressure on the top two in Thurlow Nunn League Division One North.
A game between the sides starting the day third and fifth in the table always promised entertainment for the crowd and they were not disappointed.
All the goals came in the first half, giving the visitors a mountain to climb to ever get back into the fixture.
Ryan Pearson opened the scoring in the 15th minute, heading in a Nick Castellan corner at the near post from eight yards. Joe Jackson cashed in eight minutes later after an Alex Vincent shot had been blocked, with Jackson on hand to smash in from 12 yards.
With three minutes of the half remaining Vincent got his reward, beating the keeper at the near post after a sortie down the left.
You may also want to watch:
On the stroke of half-time a corner from the left hand side ended with Matthew Gilchrist picking up a loose ball and setting Dean Miller for a shot into the left hand corner of the goal.
The second half proved much tougher for the Pedlars as CBS finally found their playing boots and tested keeper Tommy Rix. He maintained his clean sheet with two top drawer saves, the first low to his right hand side in the 65th minute and the second after being big and strong on a one to one in the 79th minute.
- 1 Unique Norfolk tower wins national architecture award
- 2 People urged to share their views on the future of Breckland towns
- 3 Revealed: The most expensive towns to buy a home in Norfolk
- 4 Woman left 'penniless' while waiting five weeks for first pension payment
- 5 Town to introduce ice skating at annual Christmas light switch-on
- 6 Why I Love Norfolk: Ben and Matthew Conway
- 7 'Appalling' online abuse targeted at MPs
- 8 Former army officer resigns as councillor for 'personal reasons'
- 9 Roads to close in Swaffham for Christmas market weekend
- 10 Man pulled teen from car and held knife to his throat in attack
Swaffham deserved the three points as the fight for the top spot in the league continues, with Harleston and Mulbarton Wanderers both maintaining their advantage over the Pedlars by claiming emphatic away wins.
On Saturday Swaffham are in action away to UEA from Division One of the Anglian Combination in the quarter-finals of the Norfolk Senior Cup (1.30pm).
Swaffham Reserves maintained their form with a 6-1 victory at Great Yarmouth Town Reserves, keeping them on top of Division Three of the Hadley and Ottaway Anglian Combination League. the goals came from Kurtis Calaby, Blake Stangroome, Kieran Bruce, Danny Nichols and a brace from Aidan Sewell.
On Saturday Swaffham's second string entertain Aylsham Reserves.