Swaffham Town recover from 2-1 down to get back to winning ways
- Credit: Archant
Swaffham Town put the previous Saturday's disappointing defeat at March behind them by getting back to winning ways at the weekend.
They beat a determined Debenham LC side 3-2 at Shoemakers Lane, with the hard-earned three points keeping them third in Division One North of the Thurlow Nunn League.
The Pedlars are now 14 points behind Harleston Town with four games in hand after the leaders surprisingly lost 2-1 at home to Lakenheath. They remain seven adrift of second placed Mulbarton Wanderers - who beat King's Lynn Reserves 5-1 - with three games in hand.
Swaffham had the best of the first half against Debenham but were unable to convert their chances and the opener came from the penalty spot in the 22nd minute, Alex Vincent converting. The closest Swaffham came to adding to their advantage before the break was when Vincent hit the post from 16 yards and Debenham then clearing their lines.
A more subdued Swaffham side reappeared for the second half and were caught out in the opening minute as Debenham equalised. Worse to come, with the visitors being awarded a penalty in the 65th minute but fortunately for the hosts keeper Tommy Rix saved low to his right.
You may also want to watch:
But he could do nothing to prevent the Pedlars going behind in the 72nd minute. Three minutes later Dean Miller restored the balance of the game, heading home from a free-kick nine yards out and the winning goal came with six minutes of normal time to go, Vincent being played through and sliding the ball past the keeper into the left corner of the net.
On Saturday the Pedlars are on the road to AFC Sudbury Reserves for a game on their new 3G pitch.
- 1 Household Cavalry to make Norfolk return
- 2 Couple reveal reason for closing 30-year-old firm
- 3 One of Norfolk's most expensive homes for sale for £3.5million
- 4 'Suspicious package' turns out to be hidden treasure chest
- 5 Teams to take on 375-mile walking challenge for Norfolk charities
- 6 Norfolk County Council elections 2021: Who is standing in Breckland?
- 7 Norfolk's Covid rate still low despite slight rises in some areas
- 8 Election 2021: Norfolk and Suffolk council candidates published
- 9 Street light debate councillor says education would stop fear of dark
- 10 Historic Debenhams building goes up for rent
It was a different story for the Reserves, their Anglian Combination Division Three clash against Horsford United being abandoned in the 63rd minute. Swaffham were 3-0 ahead when a serious incident on the sidelines made further play out of the question. The Pedlars now await the league's decision on the game.
The Reserves, who nudged into second place in their division by Heacham, face bottom place Hemsby at home on Saturday.