Swaffham Town end year with probably their worst display of the season
- Credit: Archant
Swaffham Town missed the chance to put some pressure on promotion rivals Mulbarton Wanderers when they were beaten 2-0 at March on Saturday.
The Pedlars remain seven points behind the side currently occupying second place in Division One North of the Thurlow Nunn League, but now with only three games in hand, after turning in probably their most disappointing display of the season.
The Hares went one up from a Craig Gillies penalty in the 36th minute and then clinched a second in the dying minutes of the game on the counter-attack, with Jack Friend getting the goal. Swaffham were unable to convert the opportunities that they created and had they done so they would have been comfortable winners.
It was a different story in the Boxing Day clash at home to Downham Town, a thriller in every respect as Swaffham claimed a hard-fought 1-0 win.
The decisive goal came midway through the second half, with Kyle Plumb flicking the ball on and Joe Jackson reacting quickly and smashing a looping volley from 15 yards into the top right hand corner of the net.
You may also want to watch:
There was plenty of entertaining football from both sides, giving the crowd of nearly 100 who braved the misty conditions a real flavour of a local derby.
On Saturday the Pedlars are at home to 11th placed Debenham LC.
- 1 One of Norfolk's most expensive homes for sale for £3.5million
- 2 'Thank you for everything' - How Norfolk marked Duke of Edinburgh's funeral
- 3 Norfolk has no Covid patients in critical care for first time in six months
- 4 People without Covid symptoms urged to use new walk-in test site
- 5 Man charged with spate of burglaries and thefts in Norfolk and Suffolk
- 6 Family attractions back for big weekend after months of shutdown
- 7 Norfolk County Council elections 2021: Who is standing in Breckland?
- 8 Coronation Street star's surprise message to Norfolk care team
- 9 Norfolk man's year-long fitness challenge in memory of parents
- 10 Historic Debenhams building goes up for rent
The Reserves restart their season in Division Three of the Anglian Combination on Saturday away to mid-table Horsford United. They kick off the New Year in pole position in the division and determined to stay there, even though there are plenty of tough matches to come.