Mulbarton 1 Swaffham Town 3: Pedlars make progress in Norfolk Senior Cup
- Credit: Archant
Swaffham warmed up for their big FA Vase encounter on Saturday by making progress in the Norfolk Senior Cup.
A 3-1 victory at fellow Thurlow Nunn Division One outfit Mulbarton Wanderers saw the Pedlars progress to round three.
The opener came in the 21st minute after a misunderstanding between the home keeper and his defence. Joe Jackson took advantage, pouncing on the loose ball to knock home from seven yards.
Matthew Gilchrist made it two in the 33rd minute with a glancing header into the right hand bottom corner of the net from a Nick Castellan free-kick. Jackson added the final punishment on the stroke of half-time, a free-kick in front of goal from 22 yards being smashed into the right hand bottom corner of the net.
Mulbarton had their chances but fine work in the Swaffham goal by Tommy Rix, who made four top notch saves, kept them out. Unfortunately he was denied what would have been a deserved clean sheet when the hosts got a consolation with five minutes to go.
Earlier the Pedlars had recorded a 2-1 midweek win in the First Division Knock Out Cup against Wisbech St Mary. Danny Tindall opened the scoring in the 15th minute, heading home from 10 yards. St Mary equalised in the 32nd minute but Jackson latched on to an Alex Vincent corner in the 67th minute to settle it.
Paul Hunt's men are away to Haverhill Borough on Saturday in the first round proper of the FA Vase. Hopefully there will be time for any injury worries to be resolved and a full squad to be available for this exciting encounter.
- 1 Explained: What the cost of living support package means for you
- 2 Where you can see the Red Arrows over Norfolk this weekend
- 3 Pair admit racial attack in Chinese restaurant
- 4 Serious road crash hotspots in Norfolk revealed as fatalities fall
- 5 By George! Woman digs up coin 'from reign of George I'
- 6 OPINION: The price of happiness and contentment
- 7 Education bursary worth £1,000 launched to mark Queen's Jubilee
- 8 GP allowed non-clinical staff to change medications, inspection shows
- 9 Every household in the UK to get £400 to help with rising energy bills
- 10 Norfolk Tory MP calls for 'serious changes' following Sue Gray report
There was an incredible 7-4 victory for the Reserves away to Hempnall, with goals from Liam Forshaw, Kieran Bruce (2) and an impressive four from Korben Willis.
On Saturday the Reserves hit the road again, at Aylsham Reserves.
There was a midweek 2-1 defeat for the Under-18s at home to Sheringham, Sam Martin with the Pedlars' goal. The youngsters are away to CSF Canaries this Thursday.
Not to be outdone in the County Cup competitions, the Under-16s registered a 13-0 victory away to Thetford Bulldogs.