Mulbarton 1 Swaffham Town 3: Pedlars make progress in Norfolk Senior Cup
- Credit: Archant
Swaffham warmed up for their big FA Vase encounter on Saturday by making progress in the Norfolk Senior Cup.
A 3-1 victory at fellow Thurlow Nunn Division One outfit Mulbarton Wanderers saw the Pedlars progress to round three.
The opener came in the 21st minute after a misunderstanding between the home keeper and his defence. Joe Jackson took advantage, pouncing on the loose ball to knock home from seven yards.
Matthew Gilchrist made it two in the 33rd minute with a glancing header into the right hand bottom corner of the net from a Nick Castellan free-kick. Jackson added the final punishment on the stroke of half-time, a free-kick in front of goal from 22 yards being smashed into the right hand bottom corner of the net.
Mulbarton had their chances but fine work in the Swaffham goal by Tommy Rix, who made four top notch saves, kept them out. Unfortunately he was denied what would have been a deserved clean sheet when the hosts got a consolation with five minutes to go.
You may also want to watch:
Earlier the Pedlars had recorded a 2-1 midweek win in the First Division Knock Out Cup against Wisbech St Mary. Danny Tindall opened the scoring in the 15th minute, heading home from 10 yards. St Mary equalised in the 32nd minute but Jackson latched on to an Alex Vincent corner in the 67th minute to settle it.
Paul Hunt's men are away to Haverhill Borough on Saturday in the first round proper of the FA Vase. Hopefully there will be time for any injury worries to be resolved and a full squad to be available for this exciting encounter.
- 1 Drivers face non-essential travel fines after spate of snow crashes
- 2 Norfolk's first mass Covid vaccination centre to open in food court
- 3 Covid case rates continue to fall across Norfolk and Waveney
- 4 'Don't mix, shop online' - People urged to go beyond lockdown rules
- 5 Norfolk wakes up to snow with more expected to fall
- 6 Man charged with drink-driving on the A11
- 7 Are you in our Norfolk school photos from the 1970s?
- 8 Hundreds of homes across Norfolk hit by power cut
- 9 Woman faces trial for causing deaths of Norfolk couple
- 10 Photo gallery: Snow turns region into winter wonderland
There was an incredible 7-4 victory for the Reserves away to Hempnall, with goals from Liam Forshaw, Kieran Bruce (2) and an impressive four from Korben Willis.
On Saturday the Reserves hit the road again, at Aylsham Reserves.
There was a midweek 2-1 defeat for the Under-18s at home to Sheringham, Sam Martin with the Pedlars' goal. The youngsters are away to CSF Canaries this Thursday.
Not to be outdone in the County Cup competitions, the Under-16s registered a 13-0 victory away to Thetford Bulldogs.