Haverhill Borough 3 Swaffham Town 4: Pedlars reach second round of FA Vase
- Credit: Archant
Swaffham Town moved into the second round of the Buildbase FA Vase after winning a seven-goal thriller at Haverhill Borough on Saturday.
Their reward for the excellent win was another away game, this time at May & Baker Eastbrook Community, who are based in Dagenham.
Their opponents play at the same level of the Thurlow Nunn League, in Division One South.
The tie will be played on Saturday, November 3 with the winners due to pocket £900 from the prize fund.
Swaffham played some good football on Haverhill's 3G artificial pitch and the opener came nine minutes into the game. Nick Castellan's free-kick was met at the back post by the head of Ryan Pearson and when the keeper spilt the ball Luis Duarte was on hand to drive home.
Borough levelled in the 31st minute but Swaffham retook the lead just before the break through Joe Jackson after his original strike had been saved.
The game was level again five minutes into the second half but only for six minutes as Alex Vincent netted to give the Pedlars the advantage. It looked all over in the 73rd minute as Jackson smashed home a free-kick into the bottom right hand corner from 20 yards but the home side netted a penalty with a minute to go to reduce the arrears.
- 1 TSB announce closure of its bank in Swaffham
- 2 Weather warning issued as wintry showers expected to cause icy conditions
- 3 Warning issued over fake Omicron variant test scam
- 4 Waste carrier fined £1,900 after metal and containers found in woodland
- 5 Who should you vote for in Breckland by-election?
- 6 Converted water tower home to appear on Grand Designs
- 7 What to see in the sky in December: The 'Cold Moon' and meteor showers
- 8 Hockey club plans fundraising tournament to save its pitch
- 9 Heavy rain forecast for the rest of the week in Norfolk but snow unlikely
- 10 Council saluted by RSPCA for its care of stray animals
The Pedlars' defence then stood firm and played out the remaining minutes of added time to record a 4-3 win and march into the second round.
Swaffham return to league action on Saturday (3pm) when they make the short trip to Fakenham Town while there's another derby on Tuesday evening, with a League Cup tie at Thetford Town (7.45pm).
The Reserves continued their good form, a convincing 8-0 victory away to Aylsham Reserves pushing them into third place in Hadley and Ottaway Anglian Combination Division Three. Korben Willis scored an impressive four goals, Connor Germaney notched a brace and Tom Kendrick and Liam Forshaw were also on target. On Saturday the second string are at home to Hempnall.
The Under-18s are still finding their feet in the Thurlow Nunn Youth Division North. A 6-1 defeat to CSF Canaries saw Richard Newell getting the consolation goal. On Thursday they are at home to North Walsham Town.
The Veterans are in action next Sunday when East Harling visit Shoemakers Lane.