Haverhill Borough 3 Swaffham Town 4: Pedlars reach second round of FA Vase
- Credit: Archant
Swaffham Town moved into the second round of the Buildbase FA Vase after winning a seven-goal thriller at Haverhill Borough on Saturday.
Their reward for the excellent win was another away game, this time at May & Baker Eastbrook Community, who are based in Dagenham.
Their opponents play at the same level of the Thurlow Nunn League, in Division One South.
The tie will be played on Saturday, November 3 with the winners due to pocket £900 from the prize fund.
Swaffham played some good football on Haverhill's 3G artificial pitch and the opener came nine minutes into the game. Nick Castellan's free-kick was met at the back post by the head of Ryan Pearson and when the keeper spilt the ball Luis Duarte was on hand to drive home.
You may also want to watch:
Borough levelled in the 31st minute but Swaffham retook the lead just before the break through Joe Jackson after his original strike had been saved.
The game was level again five minutes into the second half but only for six minutes as Alex Vincent netted to give the Pedlars the advantage. It looked all over in the 73rd minute as Jackson smashed home a free-kick into the bottom right hand corner from 20 yards but the home side netted a penalty with a minute to go to reduce the arrears.
- 1 Couple reveal reason for closing 30-year-old firm
- 2 Discount retailer opens new furniture store in Swaffham
- 3 Household Cavalry to make Norfolk return
- 4 One of Norfolk's most expensive homes for sale for £3.5million
- 5 Norfolk County Council elections 2021: Who is standing in Breckland?
- 6 'Suspicious package' turns out to be hidden treasure chest
- 7 Election 2021: Norfolk and Suffolk council candidates published
- 8 Teams to take on 375-mile walking challenge for Norfolk charities
- 9 Norfolk's Covid rate still low despite slight rises in some areas
- 10 PR workers' silence to help others find their voice
The Pedlars' defence then stood firm and played out the remaining minutes of added time to record a 4-3 win and march into the second round.
Swaffham return to league action on Saturday (3pm) when they make the short trip to Fakenham Town while there's another derby on Tuesday evening, with a League Cup tie at Thetford Town (7.45pm).
The Reserves continued their good form, a convincing 8-0 victory away to Aylsham Reserves pushing them into third place in Hadley and Ottaway Anglian Combination Division Three. Korben Willis scored an impressive four goals, Connor Germaney notched a brace and Tom Kendrick and Liam Forshaw were also on target. On Saturday the second string are at home to Hempnall.
The Under-18s are still finding their feet in the Thurlow Nunn Youth Division North. A 6-1 defeat to CSF Canaries saw Richard Newell getting the consolation goal. On Thursday they are at home to North Walsham Town.
The Veterans are in action next Sunday when East Harling visit Shoemakers Lane.