Swaffham Town 2 King’s Lynn Town Reserves 1: Dramatic win for Pedlars
- Credit: Archant
A goal in added time clinched the three points and the bragging rights for Swaffham Town in their Friday night derby against King's Lynn Reserves at Shoemakers Lane.
In a scrappy game for the 140 plus spectators, the Pedlars took the lead on the half hour mark, Matthew Gilchrist getting the decisive touch in a goalmouth scramble.
The Linnets equalised in the 67th minute when they down to 10 men, Alex Clunan having seeing red for two yellow card offences.
It was down to Joe Jackson to put the game to bed three minutes into added time. After being played through he slotted past the keeper into the left hand corner of the net from 15 yards and the crowd erupted, knowing that the three points had been claimed.
On Saturday Haverhill Borough visit the Lane and the following Tuesday there is another derby against Fakenham Town, the battle of the A1065. Both games are Thurlow Nunn First Division North fixtures.
You may also want to watch:
Swaffham Reserves claimed their first points of the season with a convincing 4-2 home win against South Walsham. A brace from Kieran Bruce, Korben Willis and Liam Forshaw contributed to the scoreline in a great team effort which suggested signs of good things to come.
On Saturday they travel to Earsham in the Cyril Ballyn Cup.
- 1 'Almost life changing' - school overjoyed with Every Child Online laptops
- 2 Inspectors praise Norfolk firefighters for help during Covid surge
- 3 Norfolk woman fined after travelling 200 miles to visit daughter
- 4 Ice warning after freezing temperatures overnight
- 5 Covid led to huge fall in Norfolk parking fines and £1.3m budget hole
- 6 It's 'a long, long way' until lockdown restrictions are lifted - Hancock
- 7 Discount hobby shop The Works 'could run out of money'
- 8 Councillor accused of 'squirming' over environmental centre finances
- 9 5 tips from Norwich expert to keep your car in peak condition in lockdown
- 10 Every Child Online: Funds flood in to schemes around the county
The Under 18s were defeated 5-2 in mid-week by Easton and Otley. Opportunities should have been taken, providing a hard lesson to learn. Thomas Wagg added to his goal tally, netting twice. This Thursday the youngsters play Needham Market in the FA Youth Cup (7.45pm). All are welcome to come and support the young Pedlars in this special competition.
Congratulations to all of those participating in the sponsored bike ride. Conditions were not easy but all completed and it is anticipated that about £1,000 has been raised for improvements to the club facilities.
The club will be holding open training sessions on September 8 and 15 for all children four years and over. Sessions will be 9 to 10am and first session is free (subs of £1/week will payable thereafter).
If you have interest in football come along to see what the clube has to offer. The ultimate goal is to have youth teams at all age groups that will progress through the club to adult football.