Swaffham Town cruise to big league win after setback in cup
- Credit: Archant
Swaffham Town bounced back from midweek cup disappointment with an excellent 4-0 victory at Braintree Town Reserves in the Thurlow Nunn League on Saturday.
Joe Jackson made his mark 27 minutes in, running through from the left wing and guiding the ball across the keeper into the right hand side corner of the net.
Blake Stangroome made it two on the stroke of half-time, needing a second bite at the cherry after his first effort had rebounded off the keeper following an Alex Vincent cross.
The game was all but put to bed five minutes into the second half, Ryan Pearson striking across goal and neatly into the bottom right hand corner.
Vincent got his second assist with nine minutes to go, crossing from the left wing and Jackson volleying home clinically from seven yards.
You may also want to watch:
The three points took the Pedlars into fifth position in the First Division table.
The Pedlars had suffered a 3-2 defeat at Debenham LC in the First Division Cup on Tuesday evening. Debenham went 3-0 up in the first 30 minutes, the first from what looked like an offside position, before Pearson pulled one back 10 minutes before half-time,
- 1 'We will get it back' - Care home told to improve but boss stays positive
- 2 Trains cancelled due to flooding - and more heavy rain expected
- 3 Risk of flooding in parts of region as storms slowly move in
- 4 Crucial step taken towards new leisure centre for town
- 5 Public hearing for long-delayed A47 dualling plans
- 6 'Cold and desolate' - Anne Robinson's Countdown jibe at Norfolk
- 7 Pretty 17th century cottage linked to Lord Nelson for sale
- 8 Delays to thousands of bin collections across Breckland
- 9 Thunderstorms and heavy rain warning for Norfolk
- 10 7 places to avoid the crowds in Norfolk this summer
Vincent further reduced the arrears after replacing Stangroome in the 77th minute but the equaliser never came.
The Pedlars are away to Whitton United in the league on Saturday and then face their third encounter against Downham Town so far this season on Tuesday in the League Challenge Cup.
The Reserves were unlucky on Saturday, losing 3-2 to Redgate Rangers with Jack Prentice and Matthew Blackford scoring. Swaffham played well but were hampered by having Sam Loomes sent off. On Saturday they take on Long Stratton Reserves at Shoemakers Lane.
The Under-18s gained another three points at FDL Rangers, Aaron Smith scoring the goal of the match, driving the ball from 22 yards into the top right hand corner. Kieran Bruce, Connor Germaney and Korben Willis (2) were the other goal scores in the 5-0 victory.
This Thursday they host FDL Rangers intending to maintain their top spot in the Thurlow Nunn Youth League North Division.