Swaffham Town celebrate after promotion is secured
- Credit: Eddie Deane
Promotion to the Thurlow Nunn Premier Division has been secured by Swaffham Town after a timely return to form.
The Pedlars had lost two and drawn one of their last three matches to see their title hopes slip away but raised their game to win 3-2 at Braintree Town Reserves and seal promotion.
Braintree took the lead 35 minutes into the game when a low driven cross hit Swaffham keeper Lee Brooks and deflected into the net.
Alex Vincent levelled for the Pedlars on the stroke of half-time after being played through by Mikey Thompson, firing into the top-right corner.
Ten minutes into the second half Swaffham took the lead with a fantastic lob from 20 yards from Joe Jackson. Vincent then made it three for the Pedlars 10 minutes later, the First Division's top scorer scoring his 28th goal of the season with a strike from just outside of the area, across the keeper and into the net in the top-right corner.
You may also want to watch:
A defensive mistake with seven minutes to go saw the hosts claim a second goal but the Pedlars hung on for the win.
On Saturday Paul Hunt's team finish their season with a home game against Woodbridge Town Reserves, kick off 3pm. Second place looks assured, due to big swings in goal-difference needed.
- 1 One of Norfolk's most expensive homes for sale for £3.5million
- 2 Street light debate councillor says education would stop fear of dark
- 3 Norfolk has no Covid patients in critical care for first time in six months
- 4 'Thank you for everything' - How Norfolk marked Duke of Edinburgh's funeral
- 5 Norfolk County Council elections 2021: Who is standing in Breckland?
- 6 Norfolk attractions enjoy 'amazing' Saturday as visitors flood back
- 7 Rapid coronavirus testing site set for launch in Thetford
- 8 Asda says redundancy 'last option' for bakery staff
- 9 On the buses: Mobile Covid vaccination service is launched
- 10 Historic Debenhams building goes up for rent