Swaffham Town 5 Team Bury 2
- Credit: Eddie Deane
Four wins from four games, 13 goals scored and just five conceded has made for an exciting start to the season for Swaffham Town.
The victory leaves the Pedlars in fourth place in the Thurlow Nunn Eastern Counties First Division early standings.
Team Bury were the latest team to visit Shoemakers Lane and, after a shaky start which saw both teams finding it difficult to settle, the visitors took the lead in the 36th minute.
Jack Redhead equalised for Swaffham three minutes later with a free-kick from 25 yards out, leaving the visiting keeper rooted to the ground.
Redhead made it two, from the penalty spot, in the 44th minute after a blatant push which made the referee's decision easy. Centre-forward Joe Woods opened his account for the season on the stroke of half-time, drilling the loose ball home from 12 yards to leave Swaffham 3-1 up at the break.
You may also want to watch:
Team Bury started the second half strongly, with full-backs Jake Platten and Liam Reed having to work hard to protect keeper Lee Brooks.
Woods doubled his tally in the 70th minute, Alex Vincent making a driving run, beating the defender on the left-hand touchline to pass back and across goal for Woods to knock home.
- 1 Who can get a Covid booster jab and how can I book one?
- 2 Could we face coronavirus restrictions over Christmas?
- 3 Night out safety advice issued after drink-spiking reports in Norfolk
- 4 Delays on A47 due to collapsed manhole cover
- 5 Town to introduce ice skating at annual Christmas light switch-on
- 6 National Living Wage workers to receive pay rise next year
- 7 Norfolk carer named one of best in the country
- 8 Farm park wins accolade for helping 'amazing' rare animals
- 9 Soil testing firm to create 45 new jobs in Norfolk
- 10 Met Office issues warning for thunderstorms in Norfolk
Vincent got his reward two minutes later with Swaffham's fifth, striking home from a Liam Reed assist. The visitors got a second four minutes from time after a lapse in concentration by the Pedlars defence, but by then the damage had already been done.
This Saturday the Pedlars travel to Yaxley in the first qualifying round of the FA Vase. Any supporter wishing to travel with the club can contact secretary Ray Ewart on 07990 526744 for details and availability of spaces.
Swaffham Reserves travelled to Freethorpe and came away with a vital point to keep their good start to the season on course in Division Three of the Anglian Combination, with goals from Jack Dougal and Jamie Buhlemann.
This Saturday the reserves entertain North Walsham Town Reserves at home, with kick-off at 2.30pm.