Swaffham still in hunt for Eastern Counties rugby honours despite defeat to Thurston
Thurston 13 Swaffham 7
The top five places in Eastern Counties Two are covered by four points – with Swaffham three behind leaders Hadleigh after losing this top of the table battle.
With both sides evenly matched, Swaffham's early indiscipline proved costly, allowing Thurston skipper Ben Sinclair to convert two quick penalties to give the hosts a 6-0 lead.
Swaffham's plans were hit by injuries which robbed them of both wingers in the first half and fly-half Griffith early in the second.
The last play of the first half resulted in Thurston winning a scrum against the head for No 8 Jack Weaver-Smith to score, Sinclair converting.
You may also want to watch:
In the second half Swaffham hit back when a well executed move by Spencer saw Greenwood score and convert. And in a strong finish they came agonisingly close to scoring a winning try in the dying moments.
- 1 Norfolk wakes up to snow with more expected to fall
- 2 Drivers face non-essential travel fines after spate of snow crashes
- 3 Staff lose jobs at retailer Outfit with plans to close permanently
- 4 Are you in our Norfolk school photos from the 1970s?
- 5 Man in 20s dies and three hurt as Audi crashes into wall
- 6 Hundreds of homes across Norfolk hit by power cut
- 7 Covid case rates continue to fall across Norfolk and Waveney
- 8 Man charged with drink-driving on the A11
- 9 Analysis: Is lockdown finally working in Norfolk?
- 10 Woman faces trial for causing deaths of Norfolk couple