Swaffham open cup defence in style
Swaffham took a break from the Eastern Counties League when they travelled to Watton to begin their defence of the Norfolk Junior Cup.
And they did so in style, winning 48-0 to delight their sizeable travelling support.
Swaffham took 20 minutes to score the first points after a catch and drive from the lineout on the Watton line saw Matty Taylor come up with the ball. A second try soon followed as their dominance at the scrum saw captain Ryan Bigland pick up at the base and drive over.
A third try before the break came again from a scrum when the Swaffham pack turned over the opposition scrum and Matt Smith went over.
Playing downhill in the second half, it was only five minutes before Steve Jode sprinted clear for a fine try. With a decent advantage built, Swaffham brought on three of their replacements and soon after, Joe Milligan, went through a gap to score.
You may also want to watch:
Swaffham then started to cut loose. Another try followed when a looping pass from Daniel Spencer put Rob Impey away to score. And only moments later, a great break from Jordan Mustard resulted in Swaffham entering the Watton 22 again, with Spencer finally penetrating to the line. The final score of the game came when Daniel Bird intercepted the ball and scored under the posts to wrap up a dominant display. Daniel Spencer kicked four conversions.
Swaffham are due to play Thetford in a friendly this week before an important league fixture at Mistley on November 24. Man of the Match: Jamie Palmer
- 1 One of Norfolk's most expensive homes for sale for £3.5million
- 2 Street light debate councillor says education would stop fear of dark
- 3 Norfolk has no Covid patients in critical care for first time in six months
- 4 Norfolk County Council elections 2021: Who is standing in Breckland?
- 5 Norfolk attractions enjoy 'amazing' Saturday as visitors flood back
- 6 'Thank you for everything' - How Norfolk marked Duke of Edinburgh's funeral
- 7 Covid vaccine rollout shifts dramatically in favour of second doses
- 8 Rapid coronavirus testing site set for launch in Thetford
- 9 On the buses: Mobile Covid vaccination service is launched
- 10 People without Covid symptoms urged to use new walk-in test site
nSwaffham's Under-16s beat Holt 24-10 in a highly physical encounter, running in four tries to two and lending the visitors three players in each half to even the teams up.
Tries were scored by Matty, Isaac and two from man of the match James Betts – all in the second half as Swaffham cut loose. One of the two Holt tries Holt was scored by Kane, against his clubmates.
Swaffham U15s won 31-17 at Holt.
nSwaffham minis had a late change of fixtures, moving from Fakenham to Watto, where various games were completed. As with the other teams they stood shoulder to shoulder with team mates and opposition to mark the two minutes silence.