Swaffham ease to rugby win
SATURDAY, September 11 saw the Warriors of West Norfolk travel east to mount an assault on Fortress Swaffham, at North Pickenham Road in a pre-season friendly game.
The game started with both sides testing each others strengths and weaknesses, which resulted in a lot of ping-pong kicking. It became a waiting game, and with tensions rising, the gathered crowd knew that whichever side struck first would hold the advantage for the whole game.
Suddenly, a yellow shirt broke through West Norfolk's lines and sprinted for the posts. A few hand-offs saw the ball ending up in Tom Murray's safe hands, who bulldozed his way through the remaining defenders to plant the ball directly below the posts for the first score of the game.
Only minutes later, a second try — this time unconverted was placed again below the posts by Matty Taylor, ending the first half with a score-line of Swaffham 12, West Norfolk 0.
The second half began a bit more positively, with more ball handling than kicking, and the Swaffham lads definitely had the advantage in terms of speed, stamina and strength. This was evidenced by the sudden flood of Swaffham tries which completely shut West Norfolk out of the game.
The first of these was driven across the line by Swaffham's very own runaway train Paddy Callaby, and planted again firmly below the posts making the conversion a foregone conclusion.
Two final tries, both placed in the corner by Darren Smolen finished the game on a scoreline of Swaffham 31, West Norfolk 0, leaving the home defenders victorious, and sending the marauding invaders home with their tails between their legs.
- 1 New lake could be dug in west Norfolk tourism hotspot
- 2 How Covid restrictions will change in England this week
- 3 Devastated family wrongly told prisoner hanged himself weeks before release
- 4 Further cold weather alert for Norfolk and Waveney
- 5 Woman to stand trial following fatal crash with motorcyclist
- 6 Travelodge looking at nine sites for new hotels across Norfolk
- 7 Air ambulance called after three people seriously injured in A47 crash
- 8 Public toilets unusable after been vandalised four times in a week
- 9 Roofer kept ripping off customers AFTER pleading guilty to fraud
- 10 How are England's Covid restrictions changing after Plan B?
Next week at North Pickenham Road, Swaffham's 2nd XV have their first game as they play host to Fakenham for a pre-season friendly.