Alex Payne makes 120 as Swaffham claim emphatic away win
- Credit: Archant
A superb century from Alex Payne helped Swaffham to an emphatic win at bottom side Beccles in their latest Cecil Amey Norfolk Alliance Division One fixture.
Payne made 120 as the visitors reached 257-9 in their 50 overs before bowling out their struggling opponents for just 66.
Payne hit 16 fours and two sixes in his 133 ball knock, with Alex Vincent the next highest scorer on 28.
His brother Jasper Payne then took over, taking 5-25 as Beccles were put to the sword, with extras being the top scorer on 21. David Annakin provided useful support by taking 3-17.
Thetford were unable to build on an excellent display with the ball as they went down by 35 runs at leaders Old Buckenham.
You may also want to watch:
With Liam Conroy taking 3-15, Joe Hills 2-15 and James Baulch 2-28 the Bucks were dismissed for only 127, with opener Matthew Bint scoring what proved to be a crucial 38.
Thetford found batting even more tricky after the break, with only Chris Cooper (37) looking anything near comfortable as they slumped from 62-3 to 92 all out.
- 1 Sacked police officer admits child porn charges
- 2 Man in 30s charged with Shipdham murder
- 3 Council splashes out £780,000 on agile working
- 4 Popular support services for the elderly in jeopardy
- 5 Five times the TV cameras rolled into Norfolk
- 6 Woman admits causing deaths of Norfolk couple in road crash
- 7 What has Breckland's Market Towns Initiative achieved?
- 8 Priscilla Bacon Hospice appeal gets £10,000 boost
- 9 8 countries added to UK green travel list
- 10 Man arrested on suspicion of murder after woman dies in village
It was also a disappointing day for Division Six leaders Thetford A who were beaten by 16 runs in a high scoring game at Mundford Road.
Visitors Dereham A made 261-4 in their 45 overs (Neil Irons 61, Liam Jarvis 66, Adam Humphreys 65 not out) and Thetford finished frustratingly short on 245-4 despite the best efforts of Alistair Newey (65) and Shaun Bowden (51).
On Saturday Swaffham entertain Swardeston A, Thetford host Lowestoft and Thetford A are away to Saxlingham.