Swaffham CC unable to just down a modest target
- Credit: Ian Burt
Swaffham suffered a frustrating defeat in Division Two of the Norfolk Alliance on Saturday after bowling out opponents Ashmanhaugh and Barton Wanderers for just 145.
Jasper Payne took 3-17, while David Annakin and Jack Coggles weighed in with two wickets apiece, as Wanderers struggled for runs, with only Joe Everett (62) looking at home.
Sadly the small target then proved too much for Swaffham as they finished 18 runs short after being dismissed for 127, with Alex Vincent (32) and Alex Reardon (31) the main contributors.
Swaffham, now eighth in the table after starting the season with three wins and three defeats, will be aiming to bounce back when they visit Hethersett and Tas Valley on Saturday (1pm).
Thetford were knocked off top spot in Division One after suffering their first defeat of the season.
Consistent all-rounder Rob Tooke shone with both bat and ball as hosts Diss won by 31 runs to replace their near neighbours at the summit.
Tooke top scored with 56 in a total of 202 and then took 4-31 as Thetford were dismissed for 171 in the 45th ovcer, despite good knocks from Craig Baulch (53) and Ryan Conroy (49).
- 1 Two new play areas costing £72,000 open in town park
- 2 New fishing tackle shop has 'amazing opening day'
- 3 Woman in her 20s dies in A47 crash
- 4 Pupils design greeting card to welcome residents to new Swaffham estate
- 5 Lakeside proposal gone wrong watched by millions on TikTok
- 6 Man repeatedly kicked in the head by group during road rage attack
- 7 Teacher banned after 'inappropriate contact' with teenaged pupils
- 8 Ben & Jerry's ice cream sold at Sainsbury's recalled due to health concerns
- 9 Gold Mercedes crashes through windows of Norfolk supermarket
- 10 A47 reopens after serious crash near Swaffham
James Baulch had earlier taken 4-28 for Thetford while Liam Conroy weighed in with 3-34.
Diss have played one more game than the chasing pack which is now being led by Swardeston A, the other side to be relegated from the Premier Division last season.
Thetford are just one point behind in third, level on points with Bradfield, who are the visitors to Mundford Road on Saturday.
Thetford A lost their first Division Six league game of the season to a strong Denver outfit.
Having been put into bat, Thetford were having to deal with some tight bowling from the Denver team who restricted them to 176 off the 45 overs. Opener Darren Newey (89) and Dan Greyson (18 not out) were the only scorers of note. The Denver openers cashed in on some poor deliveries and by the first drinks break were 81-1. Greyson (1-38) and Joel Fernandes (1-42) got a bit of control back but Denver were just too strong.